This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

[Video] Smalltalk with Homey

Hey,
first of all: Please excuse my german accent :smiley: 
Here is a quick video showing voice recognition by a non-Athom-User :wink: 

It is working pretty good! I am only using built-in commands and have no flow active (only the one to stop the music :wink:  )
I forgot to show you the command for changing HUE colors, but I can tell you it is working, too.

Most of the commands have been seen on video before, but only performed by dev's, so here you have an realistic view of things.

Comments

• Danke für das Video!

thx for your video!
  • Great video, thanks... Learned some more built-in commands... Heading home to try them :)
  • Don't play it in the same room as homey  :)
  • Nice video, seems that some HOMEY's work very well, and Some HOMEY's don't , i hope this is not a hardware issue.
  • Nice one Peao, thanks for sharing! One question: when you asked Homey to play some music, was the music played by Homeys internal speaker? Or some external device? Thanks :smile: 
  • Nice one Peao, thanks for sharing! One question: when you asked Homey to play some music, was the music played by Homeys internal speaker? Or some external device? Thanks :smile: 
    It was using its internal speaker (only have bluetooth speakers, and thats not aviable yet)
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited February 2016
    I figured out that the voice command "play [title]" works. So the song playing in the vid must be somehow called "some music".
    Note: I have got the soundcloud app installed.
  • Thanks for the quick response! Sounds like Homeys speaker is capable of being very loud haha :smiley: 
  • Great to see these voice command in action. Tnx 4 da video!
  • Anyone else that is a little shocked about the 5 seconds required after youve told homey what to do? 5 seconds is pretty much, for a simple question for the time which is just an ntp query probably( or not even)
  • p0nts said:
    for a simple question for the time which is just an ntp query probably( or not even)
    The speech to text is done on an external server. That's why it takes so long. I believe only the ' OK Homey' command is stored locally.
  • Same goes for Siri so that's a bad argument. 

@Peao thanks for these video's, please keep them comming!
  • Still, Should not be this slow
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited February 2016
    First of all, thanx for another real world video @Peao!

I agree with @p0nts that Homey responding to a voice command seems quite slow. It's not a big deal to me but I can imagine this will frustrate other users. Hopefully it will be improved in the future.

I shazamed the song that was played on the voice command "OK Homey, play some music". The song is Alex Senna - Moustache Sally (original Mix). I really have no clue as to why this song was played. It seems totally random. :smiley: 
  • 'Play SOME music', so random seems quite alright here  :#
  • My homey played the exact same song, so it's not completely random :smile: 
  • I tried something. After told homey to "play some music" I looked at the media section of homey's android app. The Song is called MAKJ - Generic (Original Mix). 

Then I tried "Play Coldplay" result: Homey is Playing "Coldplay Expert - Keep Calm N ..." (Warning: very annoying track :neutral: )

"Play Lady Gaga" -> "Lady Gaga on BBC Radio 1 (Interview).

•  my homey react somtimes on your voice, but my homey doesnt confirm the commands.
  • I just found this on Slack:
    http://<ip>/manager/speech-input/

Here you can see what Homey understands when you speak to it.  Very handy and pretty accurate recognition!
    So for me, the problem is just having Homey understand my 'OK Homey'...
  • Fire69 said:
    I just found this on Slack:
    http://<ip>/manager/speech-input/

Here you can see what Homey understands when you speak to it.  Very handy and pretty accurate recognition!
    So for me, the problem is just having Homey understand my 'OK Homey'...
    Didn't know that! Thanks! But my Chrome asks for permission to use my mic. So I guess its recorded by microphones connected to the pc, right?
  • Yes, your pc records what you're saying.
    But it's sent to the same voice recognition service as when Homey listens to you (I guess/hope).
    @Emile, can you confirm this?
  • Fire69 said:
    Yes, your pc records what you're saying.
    But it's sent to the same voice recognition service as when Homey listens to you (I guess/hope).
    @Emile, can you confirm this?
    According to the code in the page it is using the webkitSpeechRecognition built-in in Chrome, guess the mobile app also uses this.
  • Ah, that's a bummer. Not a good test then... 
    It did seem kind of strange that the recognition was faster this way. 
This discussion has been closed.