This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[SOLVED] Zwave connectivy issue / question

PhuturistPhuturist Member
edited March 2016 in Archive
My house contains a lot of iron in the walls and floors making it some sort of Faraday cage (for instance, I have no mobile reception inside the house). This is an issue for the 433 KAKU and 868 z-wave frequency as well. Before I received my Homey I was using a programmable KAKU remote from the livingroom on the ground floor to control a KAKU socket placed in the 2nd floor. The result was that the signal sometimes did came through and sometimes didnt. Now that I have my Homey my plan was to replace the KAKU with z-wave devices to create better reception on the 2nd floor by creating a mesh network. By placing Homey on the ground floor and a z-wave device on the 1st floor it should be possible to control z-wave devices on the 2nd floor without issues right.

Well, my plan does not seem to work .. :neutral: I was able to pair a socket on the first floor without issues. But even after that I'm unable to pair a socket on the 2nd floor. When putting the device in pair mode and Homey as well they just dont find each other.

What am I doing wrong, was my initial plan faulty in thinking the mesh network would solve this? Or are z-wave controllers (or only Homey) unable to pair devices over mesh and do you always need a direct connection between the device and the controller (this would be an issue as the z-wave network update functionality isnt working within Homey and I cant move the device after pairing as it will loose it's routing and still wont route over the z-wave socket in the first floor).

Any thoughts on this that could help me solve this issue, please let me know. This was one of the reasons to invest in z-wave devices over KAKU.

(all z-wave devices are Greenwave Powernode devices, either 1 or 6 socket)

Comments

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited March 2016
    Do be able to pair in the way you are trying, you need Network Wide Inclusion.
    Maybe @Taco can say if Homey already supports this.
    As far as I know you can pair your device next to Homey and then move it to its final destination.  Your mesh should update itself.
    Have you tried that already?
  • Fire69 said:
    Do be able to pair in the way you are trying, you need Network Wide Inclusion.
    Maybe @Taco can say it Homey already supports this.
    As far as I know you can pair your device next to Homey and then move it to its final destination.  Your mesh should update itself.
    Have you tried that already?
    Well yeah, but I only tested it quickly and when it didnt work I pulled the power from the socket again. Perhaps it needs time to update the network so I will leave it plugged in now.
  • Thanx @Fire69 , leaving the device plugged in actually worked and the device became available again after some time. I hope there is some sort of network healing going on in the background which fixed the routing table.
  • Glad it helped :)
    Also, the more devices you will install in the future, the better your reception will get!
    I have Roller Shutter-modules on all my windows => my entire house is covered thanks to that :)
  • Also, I had many clients with this issue. Using a Z-Wave extender does help, a lot. http://shop.brighters.nl/extender?search=extender