This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

WIRED Ethernet network support

AdamBakerAdamBaker Member
edited August 2017 in Questions & Help
Hi, will Homey support wired ethernet or will it only support Wifi? From looking at the new modules you're using they have the capability to have ethernet and the 2.4GHz spectrum is really crowded where I am so I try to keep only things with batteries on Wifi.

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Nope, as Homey is designed to be visible in your (living) room, most people do not have an ethernet cable available there.
  • Hmm, I do and I know a lot of people who have. So why not make it available?
  • I agree with hans. Most people who want to automate their home also have a smart tv, media box, ethernet controlled Onkyo receiver, media pc......

If it is not to much work i think it will be a very nice extra for a few euro's extra.
    We're currently researching if we can make the USB port so that through a special cable you can use an external ethernet adapter. Just don't count on it just yet!
  • Would that be a similar concept of Apple's Macbook Air? I think this would be worthwhile as well, since many users may have something like Devolo installed in their home (including myself)
  • Hi Emile, a LAN connection via the USB would be great. I'll wait for the outcome of your research.
  • I agree. Don't know how plex implementation works, but streaming 1080p through WiFi is no joke...
  • I am confused. I consider Homey being the controller for my wha. Yes, I am little disappointed Homey will not support 5Ghz, ac (if I'm correct) but I'm not expecting Homey to stream content. That logic I leave to the desinated devices,. Maybe it would be a good idea Homey is sharing some basic functional architecture example setup with us (eg. Homey in a one zone setup, Homey in a multi zone setup).
  • Emile, how does the streaming work with spotify and plex?
    For Plex, you need some device connected to your TV, such as a media player. Then Homey controls it like a remote control. The video content will therefore never go through Homey :)

Spotify will be streamed from the spotify servers, to whatever speaker you have connected (line-out, SONOS, etc.)
  • I would also really like it if you an include ethernet support!
  • koburgkoburg Member
    edited December 2014
    It is a shame there is no ethernet it will give som problem once in a while, by dropping the wifi connection.
    I have hade serval wifi units where these problems can occur.
  • Domotica&reliability&wifi is -2

Domotica&reliability&ethernet is +1
  • I agree with MarcoF.

I use some different devices such as Apple TV's, Raspberry Pi, Smart TV, Gramofon, HTPC etc. but unfortunately WiFi is just not stable and reliable enough. I use them all with a ethernet cable because WiFi couldn't do the trick :(

A Ethernet connection via the USB would be great and would satisfy my needs :)
  • Homey is just a remote, so I don't seen any problem with Homey being on Wifi. Smartphones also work fine with wifi right? and I control everything with a smartphone.

There are a a lot of media players who do a poor job. My experience with steaming Plex, Netflix and Youtube to Chromecast is very good. Several people watching different 1080p content is not a problem on 2.4ghz.

Of course, there are many other factors which can heavily influence wifi performance. In my experience, a reliable router is more important then a fast router. Linksys and Asus have always been good to me but I threw out my Sitecom AC1900 router because it did such a poor job. Generally, I keep all my devices on 2.4ghz even though 5ghz is available. I have the feeling routers have more trouble when working with multiple frequencies simultaneously. Luckily my apartment building isn't too crowded with 12-15 networks in range.

The bottom line for me is that if Chromecast can do 2.4ghz, so can Homey.
  • Wifi is more unstable then Ethernet.

In my previous house(big apartment building), my WiFi was very unstable and it took me 2 weeks to find an frequency that was stable.
    The next year i need to switch the WiFi frequency every now and then because of moving people in and out the building and new WiFi devices bringing with them.

In my current house i receive somewhere between the 15-20 WiFi networks and i also need to change the frequency of my (very stable and reliable) Draytek router.

My current controller uses various "cloud"/API services to gather information from the internet and my local network and based on these service take action on thing in the house. NetAtmo, Wunderground, WebSolarLog, Philips HUE, creating external backups, push notifications, SmartMeter data, etc.

Also the voice recognition of Homey is depending on internet, and voice is the key/killer feature for me to buy Homey.

But the PCB's are ready so i have no hope that Athom will create an ethernet socket on Homey....
    edited January 2015
    Let's just say that we're developing in a fairly crowded area, so we're sure to make it work reliable... ;)

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2015
    Its not the network count, its how many device are on the same channel with an strong signal and pushing each other out the frequency.

Its most certain that if i move my 2.4ghz network to channel 6/10/11 the network will become unstable. On avarage ther are already 3 strong networks operating on the channels.

Yup, we have the same problem at our office:

• That looks crowded :D

As said, the pcb is ready and that mean i need to order an USB<>Ethernet converter.
  • How many usb connections will Homey have and how much current will each port deliver?
  • In july 2014 you wrote:
    The OS is our custom built linux distro, but it's based on Raspbian, yeah!

Which OS is Homey using now?
    I ask this so i can look for an USB-hub and usb<>Ethernet converter.
    Just get a chinese adapter that works without drivers on a linux machine, it will most likely work on Homey.
  • thanx!!
  • Any progress on this?

My WiFi isn't stable enough to reliable control my house due a lot of neighbor interference.

If I read this topic right, a Linux compatible usb-to-ethernet adapter should work?
    Is there a compatible usb-hub on the market to supply the Homey power?
  • Hi all

are there some news on this ??? wired ethernet  and PoE ;-)

/Anders
  • I've tried the https://www.amazon.de/UGREEN-Ethernet-Chromecast-Netzkabel-Stromversorgung/dp/B01N1X28F1 with a micro-USB to USB adapter, but that doesn't work.
  • @RamonBaas
     did Homey Power Up?
    was it the USB Ethernet adapter that is not supported? 

I guess you are in the correct direction. 
    You need something like a USB-On The Go cable with a (by linux) supported Ethernet Dongle and inject the Power....
    But everything is untested and not supported. 

imho Athom isn't spending time into that....
    Have seen some discussion on Slack not so long ago but never heard anything after that.

Will never be a PoE as Homey uses 5 Volt from USB and PoE is 24 Volt or 48 Volt afaik,
  • Yes, Homey did power up, but the ethernet lights never started flashing. Hard to debug.
  • Pompompom, stil waiting on this feature since 2014