This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

How does Homey detect if someone came in?

How does the presence card work in the flow editor? My assumption was it would work in conjunction with the app to get your GPS location, but i am not getting it to work. Does Homey need additional hard ware to detect people coming in?

I am trying to construct a flow, which turns on the lights when i am entering the appartment in the evening :) 

Comments

• I think that's indeed how it's supposed to work.
  • I woud love to know how this works.
  • See issue 67 
  • Have there been any discussions about how to let Homey detect if there are unidentified personers (guests) around?

(I suppose there are a few ways to solve the problem; facial recogniztion using Intel Real Sense cameras would probably be optimal, however getting Homey to scan for unknown Bluetooth receivers detected as cell phones is probably a lot more feasible)
  • As soon as ifttt works again, I will record a video to show you my solution with a netatmo welcome camera
  • See issue 67 
    Thanks Johan, seems i need to have some patience :) 
  • Is it maybe possible to ping IP? I gave on the dhcp server all my devices a fixed IP. So if I'm arround my home I automatically login at my wifi with my phone with fixed IP so I'm home :-)  
  • That is how my current controller works (I admit, it's a router/controller combo, so much easier to accomplish) . 
    I like that system because you don't need to have an app installed and create a login to use with it. 
    If you have people coming in your house sometimes (parents, housekeeper,...) they need to have app/login (on an android phone!) before homey will recognize them. 
  • Would it be possible to write an app for these?

Or a generic app to support cheap generic Bluetooth LE keyring fobs?

If a key is home than someone must be home if not than everybody must be away. With this you won`t have false positive or negative feedbacks.
    The GPS is too power hungry.  Phone might be empty or in airplane mode also the phone based solution needs a constant WIFI/3G connection » battery drain. With phone you might get false results both ways.

1., I go running and leave my phone at home would create a false status. 
    2., At home but phone is empty, on airplane mode or data turned off would create a false status again.
  • On my Vera3 i also use Ping.
    Every 3 min. I ping both Android phones on there fixed IP.
    After 3 failed pings (3x3min=9min) for both devices, then i assume we are not at home and kick some scenes/flows/"LUA code".
    Works great :smiley: 

Most (iOS devices) won't answer a ping and i heard also some Android devices are not answering pings.
    So ping is not always a good solution.
  • MarcoF said:
    On my Vera3 i also use Ping.
    Every 3 min. I ping both Android phones on there fixed IP.
    After 3 failed pings (3x3min=9min) for both devices, then i assume we are not at home and kick some scenes/flows/"LUA code".
    Works great :smiley: 

Most (iOS devices) won't answer a ping and i heard also some Android devices are not answering pings.
    So ping is not always a good solution.

Pinging devices is not a very nice solution.
    When you come home it could take up to 3 minutes (in your case) before Homey would know you're home. 
    If you want to use motion/door sensors to enable/disable things, that's not going to work... 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    @Fire69 ;;
    Your so totally right, i now realize its not working and i'm going to disable it on my Vera3!

Thanx!

:heart:

(you got a +1 from me :smile: )
  • I didn't say it's not working for you, otherwise you wouldn't be using it...  :/
    Do you use it with motion or door sensors? 
  • It works great! 
    Our WiFi network reaches the parking area and parking the car, walking to the frontdoor, opening the door, take of my jacket etc. takes in most cases >3min. and i got notification we are home.

I don't use door/motion sensors for this and mostly because the can't detect if we are going away or coming home.
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited February 2016
    For some people that will work, it depends on the situation. I park my car next to the front door and 10 seconds later i'm inside. :)
    I have a sensor at the front door and a motion sensor in the hallway.
    For the moment I don't have a (z-wave) siren yet, but I would prefer it being deactivated automatically when I'm near.
    With your system, I would need some sort of keyfob or keypanel to do that.

Something for Athom to think about in the future? :)
  • @keyfob;
    The s*ck.... eat batteries.... have 2 keyfobs laying around somewhere....
  • I have 4! Never used them anymore since the option was enabled to detect phones on the network and automatically switch between Home and Away mode :smile: 
  • How does the presence card work in the flow editor? My assumption was it would work in conjunction with the app to get your GPS location, but i am not getting it to work. Does Homey need additional hard ware to detect people coming in?

I am trying to construct a flow, which turns on the lights when i am entering the appartment in the evening :) 

Issue 67 is still open, but Homey just surprised me by turning on the lights at the moment i came in :) 
  • I get a push notification from Homey (the app I presume) each time I get home. Isn't that based on the same logic?
  • Peao said:
    As soon as ifttt works again, I will record a video to show you my solution with a netatmo welcome camera
    Alright, IFTTT finally works and so does my solution with the Netatmo Welcome camera.
    This camera features a face recognition  and just needs a bit of training to recognize you.

Through IFTTT you can create this Recipe:

Following by this flow in Homey:

And voilà, it works :smiley: 

So I am able to start flows based on who enters my house, even if this person doesn't have the Homey App installed.

Things that aren't perfect yet:

- The Recipe takes 20-30 seconds to reach Homey, this is because IFTTT isn't that fast. But as stated here (https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/12100/#Comment_12100) its only a matter of time until Homey supports this camera natively.

- You have to create a flow for every person because the webhooks / events must be fixed. But as soon as the Netatmo Welcome Camera becomes supported natively this will become irrelevant.  And as @Robin stated this morning at 2:30am  (+∞ <3 for their effort) the IFTTT-App will feature this, too: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/12232#Comment_12232

And last a list of all possible triggers of an IFTTT-Recipe for the Welcome Camera.

This discussion has been closed.