This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Voice training

I was wondering about the voice training.
When I started using Homey, it didn't understand the trigger at all.
Then I trained my voice (which did not go very well I have to say).  After that, the trigger is pretty much OK, but the recognition is pretty bad (and my English is OK).
When my family came home, my kids wanted to try it also ofcourse. Result, trigger is not recognized.
My daughter trained her voice, after that the trigger only worked for her.

After I read that another user trained it together with his girlfriend, I tried this with my family (I used 2 attempts, my wife and kids the 3 other).  Again, this took a long time to succeed.

Now Homey reacts to almost every sound it hears.  And I've had 3 times already a 'Oops, I couldn't reach the server'.

How should we train Homey?  Or do I have to wait until you received enough trainings to adjust the trigger recognition?
If so, will this be updated on Homey automatically?

Comments

• KyrosNLKyrosNL Member
    edited February 2016
    ^ Would like to see this answered. I thought Homey would be better than Amazon's Echo. I know Homey is still in beta but would like to know if speech will be improved (same level as Amazon's Echo or better) before the preorder release.
  • I agree. I also found it very unclear what to train. The should be some more information about the process (like the options and suggested words to use).
  • Yes, most of the video's Homey is triggered using 'Hey Homey', but the voice training interface suggests 'OK Homey'. After update 0.8.17 voice training seems to work better, but I still get a lot false positives. e.g when I call my son ('Hey Floris') it gets triggered. The actual commands, like 'turn the lights on in the kitchen', haven't worked for me. Not sure why. I tried custom commands with the flow editor with short or long sentences or even single words like 'sleep'. No luck at all. There is no feedback on the speech recognition itself. Is it not working because of nothing is recognized? Is the service offline? etc. Can I enable a debug mode so I see the actual feedback of the speech recognition engine? 

Also I noticed, not sure if it is related, that I'm not able to trigger a voice output. I tried custom flows that I could trigger, but never did I get any audio response. The only time I hear the homey saying something is when I click on the preview button in the voice selection. 
  • Yes, most of the video's Homey is triggered using 'Hey Homey', but the voice training interface suggests 'OK Homey'. After update 0.8.17 voice training seems to work better, but I still get a lot false positives. e.g when I call my son ('Hey Floris') it gets triggered. The actual commands, like 'turn the lights on in the kitchen', haven't worked for me. Not sure why. I tried custom commands with the flow editor with short or long sentences or even single words like 'sleep'. No luck at all. There is no feedback on the speech recognition itself. Is it not working because of nothing is recognized? Is the service offline? etc. Can I enable a debug mode so I see the actual feedback of the speech recognition engine? 

Also I noticed, not sure if it is related, that I'm not able to trigger a voice output. I tried custom flows that I could trigger, but never did I get any audio response. The only time I hear the homey saying something is when I click on the preview button in the voice selection. 
    The trigger has been changed recently to 'OK Homey' because it should give better results, that's why most of the older videos still have 'Hey' instead of 'OK'.

Apparently, when the command isn't understood, nothing happens...  I think this should be changed.
    When the service is not available, you get a voice output 'Oops, couldn't reach the server, try again later'
  • Funny, when training Homey talking away from it gave me 5 out of 7 possitives. When talking towards it, it took me at least 20 times for a positive. Now Homey works fine. Anybody had the same? Of so, this might help others with training issues.
  • Homey might clip the sound if you're too near (it is aimed at a little distance), so talking clearly while being not too close works best, often ;)
  • MartijnHarteMartijnHarte Member
    edited February 2016
    I just tried "OK homey" 20 times in a row without success, then I had to cough and it succeeded. tongue 
    Edit:
    After that I reloaded the page to cancel the voice training as I didnt want my cough to be a trigger and now when I want to train again it says "already learning".

How to reset this?
  • After rebooting the homey I was able to start voice training again.

Before at a distance of 3-4 meters the voice recognition didn't work for me quite well (20 tries without success).

This time I started voice training at 4-5 meters and got 5 out of 6 passes :).
  • Reboot die it here
This discussion has been closed.