This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

USB cable is not designed for homey

Hi,

Why is the USB cable so badly selected for homey. It sticks out so much that the back metal feet is not even touching the surface as it is resting on the USB cable?

Comments

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    unfortunately a known issue:

Emile said:

Instructions

1. Take out the power adapter and plug your Homey into a socket (It is okay to bend the cable a little bit if you feel like it).

cut....

• Emile said:
    We're already trying out new (clothed, more flexible) cables :-)

• This probably was the cheapest cable..... But it kinda sucks... Will get a new cable from my spare old cable box.
  • Probably not the absolute cheapest, since it is quite long (and I'm glad it is this long :smile: )
  • And also it would be highly desirable to ship Homey with the local USB power adapter. It is not professional to sell the product with international conversion adapters. Also these don`t hold the plugs properly as they made with huge tolerance they are really wobble.
    It`s not an issue for me as I have dedicated USB power sockets in my wall. It is for the future international customers to keep everyone happy and decrease the number of issues.
  • If this is the only hardware issue Homey has, i'll take it!

After having a good laugh, I bended the cable once firmly and the issue was solved. 

Note that the length and the thickness of the cable are above average. Definitely not a cheap cable. 
    Assuming the cable has to be at a 90 degree angle to the led ring, the current cable and positioning is probably as good as it gets. Most of the plug is hidden in the body and the weight of the Homey allows it to bend backward nicely. 

Please not that these guys made a college-room prototype into a consumer level product within something like 2 years. That is an amazing feat! I hope that some consensus regarding the power cable and conversion adapter are acceptable. As a trade off, you get a great community who will build apps for you and give a lot of inspiration on how to use your Homey. 

This discussion has been closed.