This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Manually set Z-wave hubs

Hi,

Within Athom Developer under Z-Wave you can see the hubs that Z-Wave devices take to get to Homey. A monkey could probably make better choices. Is there a way to configure those hubs manually? My Z-Wave network is slow and unstable and I think it has to do with it taking the wrong routes to devices. My homey is in the living room. There is a Z-Wave Fibaro dimmer on the ceiling directly under the bedroom a floor above. Within that bedroom there are 2 more dimmers and a z-wave wall switch. One of the dimmers is routed to the dimmer below before it runs to Homey and that dimmer is stable. The other 2 route directly to Homey and they fail a lot (Homey is a lot further away in this case). For other dimmers another floor up it is even worse, they also tempt to connect to Homey directly without using one of the hubs. Hope this can be manually configurable or get a lot more intelligent.

Best regards,

Arjan.

Comments

• Oy1974Oy1974 Member
    Cuflee said:
    Hi,

Within Athom Developer under Z-Wave you can see the hubs that Z-Wave devices take to get to Homey. A monkey could probably make better choices. Is there a way to configure those hubs manually? My Z-Wave network is slow and unstable and I think it has to do with it taking the wrong routes to devices. My homey is in the living room. There is a Z-Wave Fibaro dimmer on the ceiling directly under the bedroom a floor above. Within that bedroom there are 2 more dimmers and a z-wave wall switch. One of the dimmers is routed to the dimmer below before it runs to Homey and that dimmer is stable. The other 2 route directly to Homey and they fail a lot (Homey is a lot further away in this case). For other dimmers another floor up it is even worse, they also tempt to connect to Homey directly without using one of the hubs. Hope this can be manually configurable or get a lot more intelligent.

Best regards,

Arjan.
    Did you try the heal command? and then start with the one thats the closset to homey and the next ….. ect
  • As far as I know Homey does not let you do that. The heal command basically seems to do nothing, it would be much better to be able to change paths. Many of the current paths that I see in my home are not ideal.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2018
    You can't define which path is chosen, it is completely taken care of by the zwave chip in every device (even homey's software has nothing to say about it)
    You can only do a heal command to update a powered device's internal table of routing devices nearby so the route might get better afterwards.

But just because you find that the route is inefficient, doesn't mean it is.
    There is a lot of factors that you can't see, that can lower, for example, the range tremendously and thus the other route being better.
  • Z-wave is just a disappointing platform. I invested a lot in powered devices but functionality is sometimes very poor. 
  • CufleeCuflee Member
    Thanks Caseda. I have multiple powered z-wave devices, all not being more than 10 meters apart, so you would expect a stable Z-wave network. However, lots of the commands fail and waiting > 3 seconds for a light to activate after pressing a z-wave button is inefficient. I don't know if it is Z-wave or the way Homey is using Z-Wave. 
  • @Cuflee 10 meters is a large distance in modern (well insulated) houses, with a lot of wireless devices broadcasting at different frequencies..
    Typically hops of 5 meters provide a good mesh network.