This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved

Separate wifi network

ptah_beptah_be Member
edited March 2018 in Questions & Help
I just ordered a Homey. But in anticipation for it to arrive I have the following question.

Can I connect Homey to a different wifi network than what I use for my PC's, phones, ...?
Will everything work or will there be limitations? For example will the presence function work?
Tagged:

Comments

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited March 2018
    ptah_be said:
    I just ordered a Homey. But in anticipation for it to arrive I have the following question.

Can I connect Homey to a different wifi network than what I use for my PC's, phones, ...?
    Will everything work or will there be limitations? For example will the presence function work?
    You can but presence won't work because that looks on the same network. When your other WIFI just has access to the internet everything will work as usual only things like presence will go wrong but you can use one of the other (community) apps for that also read this support document about internet -> https://www.athom.com/en/support/KB000028/
  • konradwalshkonradwalsh Member
    edited March 2018
    ptah_be said:

I don't believe there is yet an easy way to change the wifi network after you have completed set up. So bear that in mind because you may feel it was better, in the end, to have it all on the same network. Especially true when you NEED to log in locally if you have network/internet issues.
    edited March 2018
    ptah_be said:

I don't believe there is yet an easy way to change the wifi network after you have completed set up. So bear that in mind because you may feel it was better, in the end, to have it all on the same network. Especially true when you NEED to log in locally if you have network/internet issues.
    Just take a look at the support documents, how easy do you want it (with your data preserved)-> https://www.athom.com/en/support/KB000011/
  • konradwalshkonradwalsh Member
    edited March 2018
    ptah_be said:

Just take a look at the support documents, how easy do you want it (with your data preserved)-> https://www.athom.com/en/support/KB000011/
    Are you some damn mission to correct and contradict everything I say? The OP clearly wouldn't know this in advance. It is not a proper solution. It is a workaround. Who the heck wants to their system in recovery mode? I already knew this solution which is why I said I don't believe there is an easy way. easy would mean going to settings >  wifi > change wifi. That would be a simple way anyone can follow. However, I take in to account the person posting and their level of understanding.

@Bram this is what I am talking about
  • Really @konradwalsh ? It's the solution Athom provides and it's no big deal. And of course, even easier would be a UI but that's no reason to lash out to other users?
  • Whaha almost every device that has app setup needs to be in recovery korny . My BlackVue dashcams my bakkieleut machine my Moodoo , Clairy’s and so door. Are you on a mission to help lubbs info to puin .

just follow the Athom procedure provided by lubs . Thats the normal and easy way to go
    edited March 2018
    ptah_be said:

Are you some damn mission to correct and contradict everything I say? The OP clearly wouldn't know this in advance. It is not a proper solution. It is a workaround. Who the heck wants to their system in recovery mode? I already knew this solution which is why I said I don't believe there is an easy way. easy would mean going to settings >  wifi > change wifi. That would be a simple way anyone can follow. However, I take in to account the person posting and their level of understanding.

@Bram this is what I am talking about
    I'm not sure what you mean because this is the not a workaround but the official way Athom provides for changing SSID of your wifi connection. I can't make you know things but i can make sure you don't give wrong information to other users. If you have problems that i just link support documents you can always contact @Bram / Athom , any moderator or me bij private message. Don't know why you see everything as a personal attack because everyone can read i'm only providing public available information, if you want more information you know how to find my inbox :) 
  • ptah_be said:

I read the comments and did not see any that answered the question, 
    Yes you can connect homey to another wifi network, the next question is then how do you have this second network configured. 

If you just have several wifi access point (1. downstairs, 2. upstairs etc.) but with the same IP range/subnet then there is no issue and everything should work, If these have different IP ranges it will likely not work but YMMV

If you have a dedicated network which only has internet access chances are it will not work for the special apps like presence detection as @lubbertkramer mentioned.   

• I have multiple AP's, but I run several SSID's over both. All SSID's are configured an all AP's and each SSID is on a different VLAN, for example I have one for my internal network, one for guests, but I also have one for IoT devices (like Homey, Nest, ...).
    But I already found that I can use the Ubiquiti UniFi app for presence.