Welcome to the Athom Community Forum! This is a place to share ideas, ask for help and discuss about Homey in general.

Please read Welcome to the forum to get started.

12v zwave or ZigBee switch?

I have a siren which is powered by 12v supply, if supply is received it sounds, if not it does not.

 I wish to put a switch inline so that I can make it sound via homey but am assuming that standard  switches need more than 12v.

Is there anything I can place inline which will work under only a 12v input (and output 12v too)?

Comments

  • Fire69Fire69 Backer - Geek Edition
    A Fibaro Switch can do this.
    I use one to control a 12v light.
    You do need to feed 230v to the module to power it, but there is a separate input/output for the load.
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    edited March 12
    Fire69 said:
    A Fibaro Switch can do this.
    I use one to control a 12v light.
    You do need to feed 230v to the module to power it, but there is a separate input/output for the load.
    Fire69 said:
    A Fibaro Switch can do this.
    I use one to control a 12v light.
    You do need to feed 230v to the module to power it, but there is a separate input/output for the load.
    Ah, so that won't quite work with my intended setup sadly because if one key reason - I want to have the siren connected to a UPS for if someone kills the power.

    I have a 12v UPS, which means the switch needs to sit in line, but without additional power (if such a thing exists!!)
  • casedacaseda Moderator
    If you're a little confident with (de-)soldering and don't mind losing the warranty, you can make the fibaro relay modules 12v operated instead of 230v.
    Only the input feed though, the switch inputs will stay 230v operated, so you can't connect any switches to the module (unless they are 230v of course)
    The outputs work just fine and are/stay potential free.

    Done it myself once now (still laying around collecting dust, as I needed the switch inputs operate on 12v as well)

    Further there are indeed no zwave modules (in my knowledge) that operate on 12v and switching
  • DropsDrops Member

    How about using the Fibaro RGBW module? it works with 12V.

  • MbenzNoMbenzNo Member
    You may use a Qubino 0-10V dimmer. It accept 12-24V input. Qubino also have a flush relay that can be powered from DC, but it needs 24-30V.
  • casedacaseda Moderator
    edited March 12
    Be careful with the rgbw controller, which @Drops is giving as option (the reason why I didn't specify it) it is not on/off like a switch, but a PWM output (so on/off 240 times a second) not all devices like that, even 100% dim it will be slightly PWM like)
    There are extra modules (containing a condensator) you can add to output to smooth this.
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    Drops said:
    How about using the Fibaro RGBW module? it works with 12V.


    @Drops quick glance on the train but that look like it might work! (if a little overkill for the setup!!)

    Little pricey for what i need it for too, but might just have to deal with that!
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    caseda said:
    Be careful with the rgbw controller, which @Drops is giving as option (the reason why I didn't specify it) it is not on/off like a switch, but a PWM output (so on/off 240 times a second) not all devices like that, even 100% dim it will be slightly PWM like)
    There are extra modules (containing a condensator) you can add to output to smooth this.
    Ah, darn. Don't think that'll work then...

    MbenzNo said:
    You may use a Qubino 0-10V dimmer. It accept 12-24V input. Qubino also have a flush relay that can be powered from DC, but it needs 24-30V.
    Not sure if a dimmer will work - don't dimmers tend to output a bit on low pull systems?
  • technimantechniman Member
    edited March 12
    I know you mentioned zwave/zigbee.. but this might be cheaper 
    a sonoff board : 
    https://goo.gl/3P6BUp

    Side question.. 
    How are you going to trigger the zwave/zigbee device if the power is out > your homey is not working ?

  • vaderagvaderag Member
    techniman said:
    I know you mentioned zwave/zigbee.. but this might be cheaper 
    a sonoff board : 
    https://goo.gl/3P6BUp

    Side question.. 
    How are you going to trigger the zwave/zigbee device if the power is out > your homey is not working ?

    Uninterruptable power supply on Homey, my router and the siren.
    http://www.powerinspired.com/store/ipower-12vdc-ups-2100ma-p-1904.html - this is what I'm planning on using for the Router (it's designed for this) and the Siren (hence the need for something after the plug but before the siren)

    I havent yet determined the cheapest way to get a UPS for Homey.

    Re. Sonoff - I actually have one of these (https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-1CH-Sonoff-Wifi-Switch-Relay-Module-AC-90V-250V-220V-Wireless-Light-Timer-Switch/32802070237.html) lying around, but believe that needs far more than 12v to operate.
    The board you shared looks spot on, but can it be controlled via homey?

  • vaderag said:


    Re. Sonoff - I actually have one of these (https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-1CH-Sonoff-Wifi-Switch-Relay-Module-AC-90V-250V-220V-Wireless-Light-Timer-Switch/32802070237.html) lying around, but believe that needs far more than 12v to operate.
    The board you shared looks spot on, but can it be controlled via homey?

    It's a Sonoff so I assume it either works with the Sonoff Homey App or you can probably flash Tasmoa (or something similar) on it which would allow you to controll it through the HTTP app/MQTT App/etc. 
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Backer - Super Early Bird
    I think the Popp Strike lock control qualifies: 

    http://www.popp.eu/products/actuators/strike-lock-control/
    http://www.popp.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Manual_ElectricStrikeLockControl_POPP_en.pdf

    See the bottom of page 2 for the scematics.

    And even better, it's already supported in Marco's app: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.popp
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    @DaneeDeKruyff sounds perfect, will have to do some shopping for.it! Having seen Popp's other prices tho do worry it might be $$$

    I actually like the sound of what it's intended to do as well, tho have no idea how to set that up!!
Sign In or Register to comment.