This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

1.5.6 installed on new Homeys, but not available in stable channel. Why?

JBSJBS Member
edited February 2018 in Questions & Help
I am wondering why software version 1.5.6 is installed by default when you buy a new Homey now, but not available on the stable channel for existing owners? Isn't it kind of strange that 1.5.6 is apparently stable enough to ship on new Homeys, but apparently not stable enought for the existing community? 

If the 'Zone bug' is the reason, why not mention that in the release notes and ship 1.5.6 to stable for existing users as well? It should be stable, otherwise it should not be on new Homeys?

Comments

• mruitermruiter Member
    edited February 2018
    1st the new homeys cant run on a firmware lower then 1.5.6
    2th official statements can be get by sending email to support@athom.com
    3th . you can always go for the manual update and turn of auto update and go to 1.5.6 2

4th yes it would be nice to have some kind of communication from athom instead of peeps turning red and looking for the pickaxes i agree

5th who knows , someday they might rewrite there communication skill ......
  • JBS said:
    I am wondering why software version 1.5.6 is installed by default when you buy a new Homey now, but not available on the stable channel for existing owners? Isn't it kind of strange that 1.5.6 is apparently stable enough to ship on new Homeys, but apparently not stable enought for the existing community? 

If the 'Zone bug' is the reason, why not mention that in the release notes and ship 1.5.6 to stable for existing users as well?
    I think i understand now.
    I was wondering how athom could send out new homeys whit a aangepaste wifi chip and not whit version 1.5.6.
    probbely its an inbetween solution untill a problem is solved whit the older version wifi chip.
    Athom is working on a solution, but in the meantime selling homey must go on. 
    smart solution  :)  
  • JBS said:

If the 'Zone bug' is the reason, why not mention that in the release notes and ship 1.5.6 to stable for existing users as well? It should be stable, otherwise it should not be on new Homeys?
    As moderators we asked Athom how to handle those kind of question because we thought that users wouldn't be happy that there will be made a difference between new and already supporting users. The answer we got was that questions about this can be asked at Athom support and that they want to bring 1.5.6 to stable as soon as possible for everyone
  • Is there a reason not to use the existing 1.5.6? Even if it is labeled experimental, it is apparently stable enough to be shipped.

Or are there differences between the experimental version or the version shipped with new Homeys?
  • Kyrcio said:
    Is there a reason not to use the existing 1.5.6? Even if it is labeled experimental, it is apparently stable enough to be shipped.

Or are there differences between the experimental version or the version shipped with new Homeys?
    One reason, once you go to the experimental channel  you can't go back without resetting Homey and starting all over again. 
  • Kyrcio said:
    Is there a reason not to use the existing 1.5.6? Even if it is labeled experimental, it is apparently stable enough to be shipped.

One reason, once you go to the experimental channel  you can't go back without resetting Homey and starting all over again. 
    As a new user, I have to reset everything if the stable FW comes available ?
    will all my settings be gone ?

• You don't have to worry about that if your Homey came with 1.5.6 from factory.
    That version is marked stable. 
    Kyrcio is asking why not to use the experimental channel 1.5.6 on an older Homey.

If you change to get experimental updates, you can't revert without resetting and starting over again.
    The info at the switch mentions it:
    https://developer.athom.com/tools/settings

• mruiter said:
    3th . you can always go for the manual update and turn of auto update and go to 1.5.6 2

4th yes it would be nice to have some kind of communication from athom instead of peeps turning red and looking for the pickaxes i agree

1.5.6.2? Where can I find that one..?
  • mruiter said:

@powermarcel10
    it doesn't exist.
    There was no dot in between
    go to 1.5.6 to ...... ;-)
  • mruiter said:

@powermarcel10
    it doesn't exist.
    There was no dot in between
    go to 1.5.6 to ...... ;-)
    Haha allright.. That's a funny misreading.. :p
  • JBSJBS Member
    Two weeks later.. still no stable update. Why not release to stable with the zone rename fix? New blocking issues found? Are they really blocking?