This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Furnace

I would like to automatic start the extractor hood as soon as I turn on the gas from the furnace.

Now I have been searching for the right flow swith to measure that. bit can't find a good (pricebly) one.

The idea is to start the extractor as soon as one of the gas burners is started.
So I need to measure a gas flow. 

Maybe any ideas ?

Comments

• Measure the temperature above the furnace and use that as trigger.
  • I am afraid that if the gas in on a low setting there will be not enough temp. raise to trigger.
  • Burnt gas results in H2O and CO2, both could be measured and perhaps used to create an ON trigger. Off might be more tricky... 
  • Or perhaps you light the gas with a built in ignition? That use of electricity could me measured and trigger the hood.... But off is a problem. 
  • Eternity said:
    Or perhaps you light the gas with a built in ignition? That use of electricity could me measured and trigger the hood.... But off is a problem. 
    Tried that. Current is to low..no amps show up in the coolcam
  • Or...a motion sensor in the hood, aimed at the burners. The hood starts when motion is detected, being it a pan placed or a hand waved. Combined with a countdown timer to keep the hood active. And perhaps an extra motion sensor in the kitchen that also retriggers the timer
  • A motion sensor will not cover the situation. When there is no motion it will turn off the hood. 
    Oke you can put in a delay but it isn't the sollution i was hoping for.
    Maybe it is a project that's not that easy.
  • Nice, but expensive. 

• JacobCaseyJacobCasey Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes, it can be done but a little expensive. Maybe it will be good to consult a professional heating service NJ for an advice. They are the one with the correct knowledge and may tell the most convenient way to measure it.