This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

NAS

Hi,
looking for a new NAS.
At present I don't have a lot of requirements - but I'd like to be a little ahead of that:

Any suggestions on what features (or models, even) could be relevant when thinking home automation?

Comments

• There's only one brand I would recommend : Synology
  • Synology!
  • Synology FTW!
  • @TedTolboom
    For the Win - or Fuck the World? ;-)

A unison chorus by gents like you - almost the Homey community's Three Tenors - serve to sharpen the question:
    Which setup from Synology, then?
  • 916+ here
  • Well Synology :) 
  • DS214plus here  :)
  • DS1513+  B) Need to look for a replacement.... this one is full....
  • DS1515+ for me. Two offices and one for storing backups at my home...
  • So:
    Obviously there's the question about the possible number of discs and the size apiece and in total.
    Then there's the physical dimensions and design.

Given the number of models and load of features - which features are a "must" (and why?)
    I'm not going to host websites or ftp-services or something for others than me - but I don't want the features that makes home automation cool - so which features are a must?
    Or are they standard making it just a matter of choosing from needed storage capacity?
  • Synology 918+  here
    It has everything.
  • cbh said:

Or are they standard making it just a matter of choosing from needed storage capacity?
    They all run software u can disable or enable within the DSM. CPU is also a difference on a lot of models. Like Dual-core and Quad-core. And Intel CPU's. Hard for us to make a dicision for ur needs. 1 thing i can tell u: make sure u buy one with more bay's. U can always start with 1 or 2 harddisks in it but it's very nice to be able to expand it later. Just whatever suits ur needs ofc. Am running face recognizing software on my Synology and then u want fastest CPU they have.
  • cbh said:

They all run software u can disable or enable within the DSM. CPU is also a difference on a lot of models. Like Dual-core and Quad-core. And Intel CPU's. Hard for us to make a dicision for ur needs. 1 thing i can tell u: make sure u buy one with more bay's. U can always start with 1 or 2 harddisks in it but it's very nice to be able to expand it later. Just whatever suits ur needs ofc. Am running face recognizing software on my Synology and then u want fastest CPU they have.
    is the face recognizing sw the build in? 
  • Nope !
  • any link to share ? 
  • Good point with the number of slots and the cpu...
  • there is only 1 NAS: synology :)

Using a 1515+ here works like a charm!
  • DIY: HardKernel Odroid HC2

Nice to play with
  • QNAP ..
    sorry guys it's a step up from the Syno's just make sure to get one with the j1900 CPU