This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Ability to set zone in which Homey resides

I think it would be nice if you could set the zone in which Homey stands. This information could be used in general commands like 'Turn on the lights' or 'Increase the temperature'.

A little while ago I said I was cold and Homey asked me if I wanted to increase the temperature. When I said 'yes', Homey decided to increase the temperature in every room! When Homey knows he's in the living room (and I am speaking directly to it), it should only increase the temperature in the living room.
The same goes for the lights. Yesterday my dad tried to turn on the lights (since the Fibaro motion sensor lost connection again and the timer expired and switched off the lights in the livingroom) by telling Homey to turn the lights on. Since he didn't know he had to mention the zone (and doesn't know the names of all zones, i.e. 'huiskamer' vs 'woonkamer'), Homey decided to switch on all lights in the house.

When Homey knows which zone the request comes from, the voice commands will be a bit more natural (since you don't have to mention the zone every time, which I also wouldn't do when I asked a person) and Homey would seem a bit smarter as well.

Comments

• swtttswttt Member
    edited January 2018
    Fair point... Alexa integrated this already.
    Might be worth a feature request on github.
  • Good point
    wonder if/how this would work if we use a google home or alexa to initiate the question
  • Alexa is room aware since a few updates ago. When setting up a room or zone you can place on of your alexa devices in there as well. The new homey skill uses the automation part of alexa and thus those devices can be added to the same room/zone.

So in short: Saying "Alexa, turn off the lights" -> Alexa will only switch the lights off in the zone it is in.