This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed Solved

[Solved] Sick & tired of Homey, NOTHING works

Just_A_UserJust_A_User Member
edited November 2017 in Archive
I recently moved, and now I am trying to add devices to Homey. It worked, but now it doesn't anymore. It started with a Hank door sensor, which was added, but not correctly, so Homey saw a device, but did not recognize it. 2 other Fibaro devices were working at this moment. 

I tried to reset the Z-Wave network. It asked me if I was OK with removing the 2 Fibaro devices (door sensor 2 and movement sensor). I said yes. UP UNTIL THAT POINT THEY WERE WORKING. Z-Wave was reset, and devices were gone. 

Thats where the problems started. I could NOT add either one of those 2 Fibaro devices. I reset every controller I could find in the Homey software. Nothing worked. Only thing that still works are the Hue lights, but that's it. At the end of my sanity I tried to reset the complete Homey device, by holding it upside down and starting completely over. 

IT DOESN'T WORK. THE THING WON'T LET ME RESET IT. No countdown, nothing. I pulled the plug, and now it is showing me a purple led ring that keeps spinning, but that is it. 

What do I do now because I am ready to throw Homey out of the window and jumping after it myself. 
Tagged:

Comments

• You have to reset your zwave devices itself after a zwave reset. In the manual you can find how. For most Fibaro devices you have to hold the button till the color is orange and then press the button again. But please check the manual.
  • You have to reset your zwave devices itself after a zwave reset. In the manual you can find how. For most Fibaro devices you have to hold the button till the color is orange and then press the button again. But please check the manual.
    I can't do anything anymore. It has a spinning purple ring. I tried to reset it by holding it upside down but even that did not work. Thats when I pulled the plug and now it has been on a purple ring for the last 10 minutes. 
  • Maybe u should ask for help in resetting ur Homey instead of using the F word all the time. Edit ur topic title and ask nicely, there is a lot of peeps here willing to help u out.
  • First thing we do is pull the plug out of Homey and wait at least 20 minutes before putting it back in. After that let Homey do his thing for at least an hour before u do anything. Just wait for the rainbow led ring. Gives u also some time to edit ur post and topic title.
  • Maybe u should ask for help in resetting ur Homey instead of using the F word all the time. Edit ur topic title and ask nicely, there is a lot of peeps here willing to help u out.
    Oh well excuse me for being a bit pissed off after trying to get the thing to work for the last 2,5 hours. Holding it upside down should start a countdown which will then direct me to the setup page. The problem is that when holding the homey upside down, the countdown does not start. It doesn't. 

Then I put it back upright again and pulled out the power plug, stuck it back in, and now it has been showing a purple ring for thet last...18 minutes. I saw somewhere on this website that a purple ring either means that it is updating, in which case you should not pull the plug. 

Then it says that another cause for the purple ring could be that you put the cable back in when still holding it upside down, in which case you should pull the plug and reconnect it. However, if the unit is updating at the moment, and I pull the plug, it will brick Homey, in worst case. So, what is wisdom in this situation? 
  • Pull the plug after 1 hour of still running purple. The countdown part never worked for me also, never heared it. But that don't tell us Homey is not resetting. I put in the plug, wait for 12.3 seconds and then hold it upsidedown untill u know u can put it back on her little feet again.

• Pull the plug after 1 hour of still running purple. The countdown part never worked for me also, never heared it. But that don't tell us Homey is not resetting. I put in the plug, wait for 12.3 seconds and then hold it upsidedown untill u know u can put it back on her little feet again.

I heard it a couple of days ago, when we moved in to this house. I had to put it in recovery mode to be able to connect it to the new Wifi network here. That worked. Now, it doesn't work. 

Anyway, I pulled the plug again and now Homey is started. However, I am still not able to add the 2 devices. I have a Fibaro door sensor 2. I removed this from Homey after reading the manual again, and even though the device was NOT present anymore in Homey, it still said 'succesfully removed'. Great and all, but now I want to add that device again. 

No luck. It will not add. It's not that difficult, you add the exact device you have, and then it asks to click the button fast 3 times. I've done that in total about....50 times already...it will not add??
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited November 2017
    Did u factory reset the devices already?
    And at what distance are u adding the devices?

I can't do anything anymore. It has a spinning purple ring. I tried to reset it by holding it upside down but even that did not work. Thats when I pulled the plug and now it has been on a purple ring for the last 10 minutes. 
    Reading is hard. I told to reset the devices according to the manual. Not reset Homey. Try to get some sleep and start over tomorrow, solves most of my problems with Homey :)
  • I understand your frustrations - I've had my turns with Homey, too, and after a few weeks I was ready to send it back to the dealer - luckily he made me reconsider and now (especially after I tested another z-wave controller in comparison) I'm definitely satisfied - mostly the trouble I have now is caused by myself moving around with stuff and taking shortcuts that I make up on my own.
    And usually, members of the forum can point me in the right direction :-)
  • Did u factory reset the devices already?
    And at what distance are u adding the devices?

Yes, I did. All 3 of them. I´m adding the devices directly next to Homey, it´s not even 40cm. 

But, I solved it. I don´t know how or why, but it is working again. So what I did was I removed all 3 the devices from the Z-Wave controller. You have to follow a specific instruction, the device flashes a led a certain way, and in the Homey application, you get a message 'device succesfully removed' or something like that. 

So I have 3 devices. I removed all 3 devices. I got the 'succes' message from Homey app 3 times. But, this is what I don't get, I could NOT add them again. In the Homey app, you can ask for a schematic representation of Homey and the connected Z-Wave devices. There was nothing there. Nothing. 

Then I tried to remove the 3 devices again. Keep in mind, I already did this, and got 3 success messages. To my surprise, it gave me a success message again, for each device. After that, I could add them again. So each device, I 'succesfully' removed from the Z-Wave controller in Homey twice. 

I really don't get why this happened. It took me until 23.30 to get everything to work again, and when I started this thread at 20:58, I already had been working on this 2,5 hours, so this whole ordeal took cost me 5 (five!!) hours. But, it is solved (for now). 
  • cbh said:
    I understand your frustrations - I've had my turns with Homey, too, and after a few weeks I was ready to send it back to the dealer - luckily he made me reconsider and now (especially after I tested another z-wave controller in comparison) I'm definitely satisfied - mostly the trouble I have now is caused by myself moving around with stuff and taking shortcuts that I make up on my own.
    And usually, members of the forum can point me in the right direction :-)
    Could not agree more!
    Sometimes it was me not understanding things like how z-wave works and simple things like the importance of removing a device before adding on again, other times Homey’s fault and sometimes the amount of beer I had before playing with Homey.
    but one think is for sure: have patience and ask this awesome community using nice words and detailed as much as possible. You will amazed how fast people respond here... and most important how much knowledge they show up.
    Here I see that some of the “big guns” have not bothered to answer, I guess simply they got disgusted of the anger and amount of the F word used in the first post.

• Then I tried to remove the 3 devices again. Keep in mind, I already did this, and got 3 success messages. To my surprise, it gave me a success message again, for each device. After that, I could add them again. So each device, I 'succesfully' removed from the Z-Wave controller in Homey twice. 

I really don't get why this happened. It took me until 23.30 to get everything to work again, and when I started this thread at 20:58, I already had been working on this 2,5 hours, so this whole ordeal took cost me 5 (five!!) hours. But, it is solved (for now). 
    Not sure about the exact procedure you followed, but when you press the 'Remove a device' button on the Z-wave settings page in Homey and than press the inclusion button on a device the device will be set to factory default, even when the device was not/never included in Homey's Z-wave network. That's standard operation.
  • BTW
    You wrote NOTHING works, but the purple ring did work flawlessly ;-)

• Hi @Just_A_User

So if I understand correctly the problem is solved?
    If the problem reoccurs, could you send an e-mail to support@athom.com ?
  • Just_A_UserJust_A_User Member
    edited November 2017
    Bram said:
    Hi @Just_A_User

So if I understand correctly the problem is solved?
    If the problem reoccurs, could you send an e-mail to support@athom.com ?
    Hi @Bram

Yes, the problem seems solved for the moment. Yes I can send an e-mail. At the moment I'm in the process of ordering more sensors, so if this happens again, and I can reproduce the issue where I have to remove the hardware twice in order to be able to add them again, I will definately send an e-mail. 
  • Just_A_UserJust_A_User Member
    edited November 2017
    Eternity said:
    BTW
    You wrote NOTHING works, but the purple ring did work flawlessly ;-)

:smiley:

It's funny 'cause it's true :wink:
  • Good to hear that it is working again!

Shall I change the title to solved and close the post?
  • Bram said:
    Good to hear that it is working again!

Shall I change the title to solved and close the post?
    Of course. I already have a new question, but I will open a new topic for that. :smile: 
  • Cool, then I will close this topic!
This discussion has been closed.