This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved

Trigger "A variable changed" does not trigger.

jprgometjprgomet Member
edited October 2017 in Questions & Help
I have two flows that should flow when variable change,
when my LIFX is turned on/off (via original app and schedule) I use variable from tags - Turned on (LIFX bulb)
and the other is weather also from tags - Temp (Weather underground)
both work on test flow (they send me a message)

I see in tags, that LIFX (or Sony TV) variables are not updated, devices are on, but variables status are OFF
And temp in tags menu also doesn't seem to be (updated).

Many flows start with variable changed, what is the logic behind that, how homey looks for changes in variables, should I update them manually or flows are good but something else is broken? or they trigger just once or something else?

Tagged:

Comments

• A variable changed should be the name of the variable, not a tag.
  • A variable changed should be the name of the variable, not a tag.
    you are fast :) .. #Temp (blue) is a tag, and brown Turned on (LIFX) is also a tag or a variable?
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited October 2017
    A variable u have to make before u can use it. I use Better Logic app for it . But can also be done with the normal logic.
    After that u get a drop-down menu for the variables u created. Tags are not allowed in the card "a variable changed" .

• There's no pulldown in the trigger-card for normal variables, you have to type the variable-name:

like @roco shows there's a pulldown for better logic variables...
  • So I can not monitor a realtime status of "such" devices? For eg. I have to make some kind of flow that updates "myBLvariable" with temperature every 10 seconds .. and then in other flow I set trigger A variable changed?

I guess I can use LIFX device in when column "Turned on" so it sends a message.
  • jprgomet said:
    So I can not monitor a realtime status of "such" devices? For eg. I have to make some kind of flow that updates "myBLvariable" with temperature every 10 seconds .. and then in other flow I set trigger A variable changed?
    When using this for a temperature which varies every few seconds this is the way to go yes.

jprgomet said:

I guess I can use LIFX device in when column "Turned on" so it sends a message.
    For just running a flow when lamp is turned on this should do it yes.
  • tnx .. I have set it like that now .. wunderground temp change .. it works now .. I am new user .. few days .. so I need to grasp logic of flow .. its logical :) but then again ..
  • You should think this through btw, if the temp changes from 10 to 9 degrees, the flow will trigger, also if it then goes from 9 to 8 degrees. Mmm, I'll make a feature-request, "if a variable drops below value X"....
  • jprgometjprgomet Member
    edited October 2017
    tnx .. I am aware that any kind of change up or down will trigger message .. this is just me learning .. we will move to the new apartment in a month .. and there I will have motorized window blinds that I will try to automate with fibaro roller shutter (besides other things, lights etc) .. so I am playing with flows to learn .. what I can have as "when .. and .. then" columns .. learning which variables I have to make (like away, sleep, school-morning, under-zero, etc) to be state aware in flows ..