This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Voice command with Alexa, need help

vaderagvaderag Member
edited October 2017 in Questions & Help
I'm really struggling with voice commands, specifically via Alexa but also direct. I want to be able to turn off my lights with Homey via Alexa

Homey seems to respond via Alexa in the exact same way as it does natively, however I have a couple of issues

- If it doesnt understand or doesnt return anything, Alexa sits waiting for ages before saying it got no response - is there an easy way to set up a 'catch all' on voice commands so that if Homey receives a command it doesnt understand it can return a voice command saying such?

- Additionally I'm stuggling to understand how I can command my lights

This is my Room, and last night I tried many different actions
"Turn off the Lounge lights"
"Turn off the Living Room light"
"Set the living room light to 100%"
"Dim the Living Room Light to 30%" etc

Most of these didn't work. I found the help page on voice commands and most of those are mentioned in some way but they either just didn't work at all, or got completely wrong

Is there a surefire way (at minimum) to turn off all the lights in a Room, and ideally to set a dim level?

Comments

• Too add to this, just tried "Turn the Corner Lamp to 100%" and it returned the complete opposite "Dimming Lights to 0%"

In fact, trying many different commands, I can't get it to turn the light back up!

Any help appreciated!!
  • edited October 2017
    Have you found the sollution for this problem?
  • Have you found the sollution for this problem?
    Not really. 
    I've found a workaround which is to use HA Bridge on a server to set my own Alexa commands. There is another thread on here for that.

Ultimately it doesn't solve Honey's voice issues, but works around them sufficiently
  • If you have installed the Hue skill it works as you have described. I have you have configured homey to turn off/on the lights you must say "ask homey to turn on the lights." For this you must have a trigger off course.

• What app are you using for living room lights, for me the Virtual devices switches don't work but if I make switches with better logic everything is working fine. So in home I added a better logic switch called living room, create a flow living room lights on or off and tell alexa: ask homey to switch living room on, this triggers the flow to switch all lights off. Also individual switches is ok.
    The only thing I would like to be able to do is the flow direct, but haven't find out how to do this.
  • wimpy said:
    What app are you using for living room lights, for me the Virtual devices switches don't work but if I make switches with better logic everything is working fine. So in home I added a better logic switch called living room, create a flow living room lights on or off and tell alexa: ask homey to switch living room on, this triggers the flow to switch all lights off. Also individual switches is ok.
    The only thing I would like to be able to do is the flow direct, but haven't find out how to do this.
    I'm not using an app, I'm using HA Bridge running on a separate server, which controls the device directly via methods explained on these forums in the HA Bridge thread

I wouldn't bother with your flow - with routines in Alexa (or even groups) you can set living room to contain all your individual living room lights and Alexa handles the logic like your flow describes
  • vaderag said:
    wimpy said:
    What app are you using for living room lights, for me the Virtual devices switches don't work but if I make switches with better logic everything is working fine. So in home I added a better logic switch called living room, create a flow living room lights on or off and tell alexa: ask homey to switch living room on, this triggers the flow to switch all lights off. Also individual switches is ok.
    I'm not using an app, I'm using HA Bridge running on a separate server, which controls the device directly via methods explained on these forums in the HA Bridge thread

I wouldn't bother with your flow - with routines in Alexa (or even groups) you can set living room to contain all your individual living room lights and Alexa handles the logic like your flow describes
    ok but my sockets are not titled lights but otherwise it doesn't measure the current.
  • vaderag said:
    I'm really struggling with voice commands, specifically via Alexa but also direct. I want to be able to turn off my lights with Homey via Alexa

Homey seems to respond via Alexa in the exact same way as it does natively, however I have a couple of issues

- If it doesnt understand or doesnt return anything, Alexa sits waiting for ages before saying it got no response - is there an easy way to set up a 'catch all' on voice commands so that if Homey receives a command it doesnt understand it can return a voice command saying such?

- Additionally I'm stuggling to understand how I can command my lights

This is my Room, and last night I tried many different actions
    "Turn off the Lounge lights"
    "Turn off the Living Room light"
    "Set the living room light to 100%"
    "Dim the Living Room Light to 30%" etc

Most of these didn't work. I found the help page on voice commands and most of those are mentioned in some way but they either just didn't work at all, or got completely wrong

Is there a surefire way (at minimum) to turn off all the lights in a Room, and ideally to set a dim level?
    Use ifttt skill on alexa make a http request get and in homey a flow with the word of the get request, only have to say alexa trigger "name of the get" that's it.