This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Which protocol best for long distance?

I have a device I want to plug in in my loft and controllable by Homey. It is going through a number of walls to both my Homey and my Wifi

Obviously you can buy switching plugs in various guises (wifi/zwave being the most prevalent, also Lightwave) all of which work with Homey - which is going to be most reliable over long distance?

Thanks

Comments

• I'd say Ethernet over power but if you don't want that wifi.

Though the frequency of wifi is higher then Zwave so less distance for the same power, the output is much higher (typically 76 mW for wifi and 1 mW for zwave).
  • bvdbos said:
    I'd say Ethernet over power but if you don't want that wifi.

Though the frequency of wifi is higher then Zwave so less distance for the same power, the output is much higher (typically 76 mW for wifi and 1 mW for zwave).
    Thanks, guess that makes sense. That said, I guess the mesh nature of zwave means I could stick a repeater or plug in the room below the loft and minimize the distance hugely?
  • That's correct! Most (if not every) Zwave wall-powered device will act as a repeater.
  • Thanks. As yet I don't have anything other than a couple of Zigbee devices which i plan to get rid of, but planning out my system and i think having a few Zwave plugs scattered around as boosters probably makes sense!
  • annmarshallannmarshall Member
    edited September 2017
    I think Zwave will fit you because this protocol is hot as Hades game like my granny always says :D I always prefer to use it