This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Any outdoor z-wave devices?

My indoor home automation is getting along nicely (almost all lamps are automated, doors and windows have been fitted with sensors and motion sensors have been ordered), so it's time to think about automating the outdoor devices..

What I'm thinking about is having the lights in the garden turn on when it's getting dark (so light-sensitive sensors), but not at full power (so dimmers) and light up when someone approaches (so motion sensors). 

Because I'm using fibaro indoors, i first looked at those, but the ambient temperature for those devices should be between 0 and 50 degrees Celcius (or so says the manual). Because of this I turned to Google.. But also on google I'm not getting comforting results. 

I'm looking for z-wave devices (one loves security :wink: ), that are meant to be used outdoors (like IP65) and can operate when it's freezing (I'm still hopefull for nice cold winters)

Anybody out there that knows of such devices?

Comments

• I have a fibaro dimmer inside an outdoor junction box in a covered terrace and I had no problems with it last winter.

It's mounted in the back of the garden, far from radiated heat from my house and it operated without any problems in temperatures below 0. There is an Aeotec Multisensor 6 next to it which also operated without any issues. (usb powered though)
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited September 2017
    There is only one motion sensor for the outdoors, and that is of the brand philio,
    though that doesn't have lux measurements, so you would need another device for that.

myself just have a fibaro motion sensor pointing outside to measure the lux, works brilliantly, but that of course won't work if you have roller shutters

have seen several people taping the fibaro motion sensor around the seem, which apparently makes it water tight enough to work for at least a year (haven't heart them talking about later on, so probably also still works)
  • that motion sensor looks nice.. easy to install and battery life for 2 years.. putting that one on the shopping list.
    for lux i could indeed put a sensor indoors by the window pointing outwards.
    leaves me with the dimmer, but as DaneeDeKruyff said.. fibaro seems to work below zero as well.. so might end up using that one..  

that lux sensor would also come in handy for turning on the lights when there's heavy rainfall and the clouds are blocking all the sunlight..  autumn is coming again
  • @neefroel Steinel now extended their product portfolio with Z-wave outdoor products: http://www.steinel.de/en/smart-home/smart-friends/

An app would need need to be made, but considering the information available could be done...
  • Cool.. and they are also somewhat easy on the eyes.. 

I like that fixture for up-and-down light... I'll check if I can find some retail prices tonight for that one
  • NeefRoel said:
    Cool.. and they are also somewhat easy on the eyes.. 

I like that fixture for up-and-down light... I'll check if I can find some retail prices tonight for that one
    Please ensure to remain seated while looking ;)
  • Another possibility is to modify other components.
    I've added a Fibaro Dimmer 2 to a standard wired PIR in an outside lamp, that can already be adjusted in sensitivity for light and movement - and thereby eliminated the need for stand-alone outside sensors.
    If you need to use the activation of the lamp to trigger other actions, you have to do by monitoring when the dimmer is activated - and that will only be a binary signal - but it actually works :-)
  • That was something I was also thinking about.. but then I'd have to manually fine tune the lux settings
  • NeefRoel said:
    Cool.. and they are also somewhat easy on the eyes.. 

Please ensure to remain seated while looking ;)
    It''s almost like you know me :)
  • ach so.. :)

das ist 50 eur billiger

about 30% discount.. good to know. Haven't had much experience with international webshops, so isn't the first place i'd look
  • i also still need to buy lights for in the garden.. was thinking about either some led-strips (dimmed to the least visible light, so it would kind of mark the path) and some spots pointing to some of the trees (from below) for indirect lighting

and if one would walk through the garden, the path would be lit a bit more so they can see where they are going
  • Outdoor > Aeotec Multisensor 6. https://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor > When installed in a waterproof & anti-condensation enclosure, you can use MultiSensor 6’s non-motion sensors outdoors.
  • Thanks for all the input guys..  

i'm thinking about the phillio outdoor sensor. This has z-wave support and is designed for outdoor use (already waterproof). Together with normal light fixtures that have some space available for dimmers.

The phillio sensor is also reporting the lux, so I can use that for deciding to turn on the lights. Don't need a vibration sensor, there are not much earthquakes in the western part of holland and I don't need a sensor to tell me it's humid outside :) 
    And it says the motion sensor can detect motion up to 12 meters.. so I still two of them when I place them strategically.

Knowing me it will take some time before I got it all installed. Like I said I also still need to buy the lights as well.. and dig a hole to bury the new power cable (previous owner of the house wasn't the best DIY builder, not that I'm that great, but I do like to do it good, even if it takes longer to get things done). And who knows, maybe some more outdoor z-wave devices will get to marked by then :wink:
  • I've purchased the phillio and the PIR is working great.
    I thought it would also report LUX, but apparently I was "mitsaken" in that.. (or the homey drivers don't support it)
    I've also laid the ground cable to the near edge of the gardan (under the pavement), just need to install a watertight wiring box with room for some dimmers and buy some lights for in the garden
  • As I already said it on September 7th:

There is only one motion sensor for the outdoors, and that is of the brand philio,
    though that doesn't have lux measurements, so you would need another device for that.