This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey & roller blinds

Hi,
looking into the concept of automating my roller blinds, I've found, that this is not as simple as one could hope - with Homey, it is...
Some webstores have made complete sets for modding rollers from Ikea and Jysk and that to at reasonable price (https://www.m.nu/rullgardin/motorisera-rullgardin-3-motorer-z-wave-24v).
However, the Qubino modules are not supported by the app, neither are the the Philio modules - and Fibaro are for 240 AC, while engines are 24 V DC...

Searching he forum and the web results in quite a bunch of hits - and right now I think it is a bit difficult to find which are the best compared to the present status of apps and hardware...

Anyone who've got ideas that are easy, works and within reasonable price?

Comments

• No ideas at all?
    Or:
    Anyone who knows if the Qubino/Philio modules might be included in the apps in the future?
  • Hi @cbh! Did you ever look into the Fibaro relay modules? If I remember correctly, the Fibaro app does support these modules. You should be able to connect this with low voltage engines. 

Here's a example of doing it with Somfy engine's:
    http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-74#.Wa2dqCmRXqA

PS. I'm still looking for a similar affordable solution powered by zwave. But I'm looking for a battery powered DC motor. If anyone has a good tip, I'm more than I interested :). Could go for the Somfy solution but that's relatively expensive.

• @lenonline:
    That's a possibility - although I think, that if I buy Somfy, I could just as well go for their wireless solution and use the app directly in Homey - to keep it simple... But that would include changing everything, including the blinds - as far as I can find, the Somfy-engines are too big to fit in the rollers I have...
  • JPeJPe Member
    edited September 2017
    Why don't you ask Athom to implement the qubino device, many qubino devices are already implemented or ask @TedTolboom
  • cbh said:
    @lenonline:
    That's a possibility - although I think, that if I buy Somfy, I could just as well go for their wireless solution and use the app directly in Homey - to keep it simple... But that would include changing everything, including the blinds - as far as I can find, the Somfy-engines are too big to fit in the rollers I have...
    I was just giving you a link to a tutorial. You don't have to use Somfy engine's to achieve zwave powered blinds.

Basically, you can swap the Qubino  module for the Fibaro module in the setup that you shared in your first post. You would achieve the same thing although the Fibaro installation is slightly different.
  • @lenonline:
    Sorry, total fixation error - my mistake - you're so very right, of course I could take another 24 V engine (shaking my head and rolling my eyes over my own stupidity....)

However, am I reading the guide right: It seems like the Fibaro module is fed only by 24 V DC - but the specs are 110-240 V AC?
    Following my comment above, I almost do not dare asking, as it is probably stupidly obvious - but now I do it anyway... 
  • lenonlinelenonline Member
    edited September 2017
    No worries @cbh - there's no such thing as a stupid questions!

And sh*t, you're actually correct. I didn't think about that challenge. That's not easy to solve for!

Alternatively, you could take a look at the Belkin Wemo Maker (http://www.belkin.com/nl/p/P-F7C043/). I've never used the module myself but I seem to remember it's focused on low voltage appliances. 

I've looked for you in the Homey store. It doesn't seem that the Wemo app for Homey supports the Maker module. However, you can use a workaround like IFTTT (directly or with a Homey app like Http request).

I don't use his setup myself so I can't validate for you if it works. And maybe I'm missing an obvious disadvantage here... But I guess this could work. Just trying to think with you. Hope it helps.

• @lenonline
     Thanks - and I know - this forum is full of love :-)

Asked vesternet about their guide and got the following reply:
    "the Fibaro FGS-221 mentioned in the guide can indeed be connected to 24V, later versions (FGS-222) unfortunately can't, so they would need connecting to 240V and the lower voltage supplied via the "I" terminal directly."

The Wemo Maker is interesting - but I prefer a z-wave based solution if possible that doesn't need IFTTT etc. to keep things as simple as possible as all.

If somebody else have good ideas, you're very welcome - and when I find a solution, I'll post it, of course...
  • Maybe you can look into brel motors. I don't realy know how to place them in your rollor blinds as I got mine pre-assembled with the blinds themselves. Brel has their own App which for me works perfectly. 

You can set a upper most position, a lowest position and a position somewhere in between (of course with the remote you can put them on any level you want). 
    A year ago my motors were €135, remote €20 and a charger €20.

Downside for you might be that they are RF, and not Zwave.
  • @JasperB
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, Brel haven't got any motors with Ø20 mm :-(