This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Help with Fibaro dimmers automatically increasing brightness

Hi Guys,

So I have this issue I have been having the last couple of weeks and I can't seem to find what the problem is. I currently have 4 Fibaro Dimmers 2 (FGD-212) installed in my house which all work as expected. However during the last few weeks I have this issue that during night time the brightness of all these dimmers are maxed out for some particular reason. Now you would think that is because some flow but I have checked 30 times and none of the flows have any actions which does this.

So I'm trying to find the reason why these dimmers are incrementally increasing their brightness during evening hours. Here are the characteristics that I found:

- Changing of brightness starts around 21:30 and occurs until the morning hours 06:00
- It does not occur after specific time periods but it will always occur at specific time e.g. 10:10, 10:30, etc. But the time between may differ.
- Only dimmers which are already on are increased in brightness.
- The brightness is increment to 100% in steps and is completed in ~30s.
- I have one dimmer 2 with disabled dimmer functionality that one is not affected by this.
- The Athom Homey does not show a difference in the dimmer settings when viewing the devices.

I have verified the following
- No flow is triggered that causes this, I have verified this by manually removing 1 dimmer of every flow and it still occurs. Further investigated it with Homey Logger and manually editing push messages to all related flows but none are triggered. Checked this 20 or more times.
- Removing a device and re-adding it to the Z-Wave network does not have effect.
- None of the Dimmers have are in an Association Network with each other. All are just in Association Group 1 with only 1 ID in the options (ID: 1, Homey).

So something is trigger my devices to increase their brightness but I can't seem the figure out what. The most obvious answer is flow but none are triggered. The other is some form of Association group but all devices are just in Group 1, the lifeline as stated by the documentation.

Any help with solving this issue or pointing me to some way I can further investigate it would be highly appreciated.

Thank  you!

Comments

• I had the same issue and found out it has to do with the off peak ripple. 
    This ripple is used by the grid supplier to switch your energy meter to off peak rate or switch on the street lights.
    I was able to solve it with upgrading the dimmers to the latest firmware and changing some parameters. 
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/3244/fibaro-dimmer-2-changing-dim-level-automatically-at-0-00#latest
  • Thank you very much, that must be it. I'll try the options that you posted in the mentioned forum. Do you have any recommendations on updating the firmware without a Home controller besides the information mentioned in:

https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2125/update-the-firmware-of-my-fibaro-devices

• I'm afraid there is no other way (yet) to update the firmware.
    good luck!
  • you can leave away the "yet" fibaro will not (as in never) give out the firmware data to outside companies, so the only option is to buy a fibaro controller, or make use of some shop's update service (robbshop in the netherlands for example)
  • I'm having some (but not quit exact) similar problems. My dimmer sometimes change the brightness a few steps up or down. Sometimes like 6 steps. I have also checked everything like flows etc. 

I received a new "smart" energy meter a few weeks ago. Could this be also the cause in this case?