This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
HUE

Dim Hue bulbs up / down

rabellrabell Member
edited April 2018 in Questions & Help
I have recently purchased my Homey and am looking to integrate Hue bulbs with a Nodon switch.  I have linked the switch and this switches my bulbs on / off without issue but I want to use a long hold to dim up / down.  The long hold card for the Nodon is fine and triggers a flow but there doesn't appear to be a dim up or dim down card with Hue.

Am I missing something simple?  Is there any way to achieve this through Homey?
Tagged:

Comments

• There is an action card for hue which sets the brightness of the lamp 
    It;s called something like "change the brightness over time"
  • rabellrabell Member
    Hi @JasperB , I was experimenting with this but it appears to take the lights to a pre-determined level within x seconds rather than dim up / down by % percentage?  Thanks
  • swtttswttt Member
    If you keep a button pressed (long press) does the flow keeps activating or just activates once?
  • rabellrabell Member
    @swttt ; I think the flow is activated once - any logs I can check to validate?  Either way I cannot see a card to react by dimming up / down by a % rather than to a set level
  • casedacaseda Member
    its true, that is no such card in homey directly for dimming up xx% (or down)
    we can work around it a little thought, by using these flow cards and 1 number logic value, all things build into homey. 

AND card is because 1.00 (100%) is the maximum dim level of all lights.
    for down it would of course be is larger then 0

then we will calculate the dim value the lamp has now, using the global token of the lamp, and add 0.05 (5%) to it.
    i usually use 5% myself as that is a pretty good value to increment on.

and then set that logic value to the light, on a 1 second delay.

if you want to dim multiple lights at the same time (all philips hue), i would recommend to instead of instantly changing the light (like i show now), to use the countdown timer app, and set that timer to 1 second (so this card instead of the bulb card), and then create 1 extra flow to transmit the dim level to the hue bulb when the timer runs out, cause philips hue limits the amount triggers (10) that can happen every second to the bridge, with 1 light this won't exceed, but with 2 lights this already can exceed when doing it little longer, and will exceed with 3 lights
  • skoniskoni Member
    @caseda,

Why isn't that working in my case? 

• casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2017
    @skoni
    your AND flow card (tag place) is empty, how would homey know what you want smaller then 1?
    and you only turn on the lamp, you do not change the dim level with the calculated new dim level, so it would never change, just turn on
  • skoniskoni Member
    caseda said:
    @skoni
    your AND flow card (tag place) is empty, how would homey know what you want smaller then 1?
    and you only turn on the lamp, you do not change the dim level with the calculated new dim level, so it would never change, just turn on
    Thanks, I notice that myself, point is I can't find the tag for the lamp. It is not in the tag list. By the lamp device (zet helderheid) there is only the dim adjust instead of "zet helderheid #lamp"
  • casedacaseda Member
    @skoni you can place any number tag on the (dim) slider, it will overwrite the slider
  • cbhcbh Member
    Not trying to hijack - or only a little, at least:
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/3486/dimming-variable-the-perfect-flow

No ideas from people yet - perhaps it is the perfect flow already? ;-)
  • skoniskoni Member
    edited July 2017
    caseda said:
    @skoni you can place any number tag on the (dim) slider, it will overwrite the slider
    Sorry I can not overwrite the slider, the text box is gray but i can not fill in a name.
  • skoniskoni Member
    edited July 2017
  • mrKaynemrKayne Member
    edited November 2017
    caseda said:
    its true, that is no such card in homey directly for dimming up xx% (or down)
    we can work around it a little thought, by using these flow cards and 1 number logic value, all things build into homey. 

AND card is because 1.00 (100%) is the maximum dim level of all lights.
    for down it would of course be is larger then 0

then we will calculate the dim value the lamp has now, using the global token of the lamp, and add 0.05 (5%) to it.
    i usually use 5% myself as that is a pretty good value to increment on.

and then set that logic value to the light, on a 1 second delay.

if you want to dim multiple lights at the same time (all philips hue), i would recommend to instead of instantly changing the light (like i show now), to use the countdown timer app, and set that timer to 1 second (so this card instead of the bulb card), and then create 1 extra flow to transmit the dim level to the hue bulb when the timer runs out, cause philips hue limits the amount triggers (10) that can happen every second to the bridge, with 1 light this won't exceed, but with 2 lights this already can exceed when doing it little longer, and will exceed with 3 lights

Hey,

I might be doing something wrong, because it doesnt work...

How should it work? When pressing and holding the button down, it should dim the light from 1 to 0 with a 0.05 increment, right?

Also would it be possible to make it keep dimming until the button is no longer pressed? 

• Great idea to dim the Hue light bulbs. Since there is now an else option available, I took the liberty to add a bit of functionality to the flow. When the brightness is over 0.9, the brightness is set at 100%. The minus button on the Soft Remote decreases the brightness with 0.10. Good way of spending my (Friday) Homey night.