This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Device groups

Hi.
I'm looking for device-group functionality. 
eg. If we could have cards that could measure if something in a given group is ON/OFF or everything is ON/OFF and cards that could change the grouped devices to "ON/OFF" depending on their current state.
I know that OR-functionality is coming, but flows get rather hard to edit if we are talking 25 to 30 light sources.

I need functionality like this so i can set my "some light is on" indicator by the front door working again (after moving from fibaro HCL), and by pressing the button right besiedes the indicator to set all the grouped lights off.

Can anyone help?

Kind regards.

Comments

• Could be !

Thank you very much, will look into it as soon as i hit home.

Thank you very much!
  • I'm sorry, as i see 'Sets' i could just as easily use a variable through 'betterlogic' but i might be wrong.
    What I did in fibaro was create a device group, eg. Devicegroup1=(Kitchen light 1,2,3+Livingroom light 1,2,3,4+etc.)

Then created scenes like:
    If Devicegroup1 = OFF then turn off warning LED
    If Devicegroup1 != OFF then turn on warning LED

And,
    If ALL-OFF-BUTTON pressed - Then set Devicegroup1 = OFF

I don't know if it makes sense and i know that Homey has device-types, but i can't change devicetypes and group them by hand. It would be nice to have editable custom device-types to do these sorts of things.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited July 2017
    You can't change the devicetype, only after you delete the device from Homey and re-pair it. But you can control devices by zone since 1.3.0 FW:
  • Hi :)
    Using a build in feature would be neat and the first thing I tried was actually to create 'virtual rooms' a la living room -lights, etc. But it really messes with the basics of the setup.

If groups or types was a possibility it wouldn't remove the devices from their other groups, like rooms/zones does.

I guess I need an app that extends the build in functionality not new functionality per se.

Thanks again.
  • And,
    I don't think you can check for if any of the devices in a room is on, but I could be mistaken.
  • swtttswttt Member
    Thats something Athom is adding tho, checks if lights are on in a zone.
  • I did a request a while ago to create groups, in this case for Hue lights. But there was a reply for the need for groups in general.
    Is this what you mean?
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1324#issuecomment-298286212

• Correct.
    Universal groups, with the ability to check for all/any states in flow cards. To check if a light is on when leaving home.

/Mobile

• Small bump if I may?

I was looking for the APP Device Groups here on the forum and I stumbled on this topic.
    I am slightly confused since I have found a few APP's with should do what I want to do but I don't know which is the best one at the moment.

What I would like to do is group a couple of Z-wave devices into 1 Group so 1 can trigger 1 event.
    In this event, I want to group multiple motion sensors to 1 group, so I can create a flow wich will be something like...

A Motion sensor downstairs went off............AND The Alarm is set on........Then.......start timer with beeps..(to be able to disengage)

If Timer stops AND Alarm is still set on..........Siren....noise....Lights on.....Camera's On.....message to phone ETC.

I have the same wish for doorsensors.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Gr,
    Danny

• Don't think it's possible to do it as you describe, but doing it like this:

should work, as long as you make sure your motion sensors have [ds] in their name. It would be nice if we could attach tags to devices so the evaluation can be done on a tag so we can keep the Zone and Name fields clean.
  • Hmm interresting approach.......I will start testing..

I will rename all window/door sensors with [ds] and motion sensors [ms] and creating groups by name....

Never thought of that.....thanks.
  • Your welcome. In the mean time I’ve submitted a feature request to be able to add a ‘tag’ to a device so you can filter on that and leave device and zone names ‘clean’
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1917
  • To sort devices with [xx] works like a charm......
    Now I can use 1 flow for several triggers.....

Perfect....thanks.
  • Great, if you like the idea of using a separate field for it instead of the Name or Zone, give the github issue (https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1917) a thumbs up please.