This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[Beta] LEDitor LED-ring editor

OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
edited July 2017 in Apps
I built an app to create custom LED-ring animations.

It's not available from the app-store yet because I first want to be sure that it works as it should.

If you like to test, you can install it with the Developer tools. If you don't know what that is, then just wait until it's available in the app-store. Shouldn't take too long anymore.

Version 0.2.0 is now available at the App Store: https://apps.athom.com/app/openmindnl.leditor

UPDATE: version number keeps increasing, so no more version info here  :#

If you think anything is wrong, then check out:
https://github.com/OpenMindNL/LEDitor/issues

When you don't see your issue there, do not hesitate to create a new issue.

For more direct communication you might try to wake me up at: 
https://athomcommunity.slack.com/team/openmind_nl

Works in Dutch & English

Comments

• Using it, and it's Sweeet. Great JOB!!
  • OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited July 2017
    v0.1.2 is available.

First post in this thread shows the changes.
  • I'm really impressed by this app! Wow! And it works great over here. I didn't test every tweak and tune in the animations, just because there is so much possible! It would be great if you can build in an option to use an animation as screensaver. Or is this already possible, but did I just not found it?? :open_mouth:
  • Pretty amazing stuff ... :+1:
  • It would be great if you can build in an option to use an animation as screensaver. Or is this already possible, but did I just not found it?? :open_mouth:

As far as I know now, screensavers need to be registred at app-start. This means that it is not possible to use the animations as real screensavers.
    I say 'real' screensavers because there is a way to use the animations as a kind-of-screensaver.

You could start an animation in a flow and run it for 3600 seconds (1 hour). If you make the flow call itself every 60 minutes, you'll have a kind-of-screensaver.

Only one thing: When other flows start screensavers, they wont run... screensavers only run when Homey does nothing... and running an animation is not nothing.
    On the other side: Running the build-in Homey flow cards for animations (like orange pulse) will still work.
    The LEDitor animation will stop, the build-in animation will play and LEDitor takes over again when the built-in animation card stops.
    edited June 2017
    I have just updated the LEDitor files at GitHub to version 0.2.0
    It's is also signed up for beta publication in the App store and might be available there in a few days.

v0.2.0
    * Added the ability to save and (re)load animations, which allows for back-ups and exchange with other users.
    * Included a generator which produces all the patterns from the "LED-ring collection" with user definable colors and settings.
    * Included two different ways to smoothly fill empty/inactive frames in animations.
    * Included an option to apply rotate and fill actions to all frames at once.
    * Reorganized the user interface a little.
    * Small fixes.

• steenjensensteenjensen Member
    edited June 2017
    Really fun  :D

Thank you
  • Really fun  :D

Thank you
    My pleasure! Enjoy!
  • Thanks for the update. Where do I find the 'generator'?
  •  This button
  •  This button
    Thanks.. I looked with my nose.. ;)
    edited July 2017
    The Beta (v0.2.0) is now available from the App Store.
    If you installed from Github before, please install the app-store version now. This is necessary if you want automatic updates.

https://apps.athom.com/app/openmindnl.leditor
  • Updated to v0.2.1

- Removed bug: Internal color vector was not updated after selecting a color for the generator and returning to the editor. This made the generator trigger whenever color changes for the editor were expected.

- Removed bug: On-screen LED ring display did not update anymore with Solid Fill or Gradient Fill buttons.

- Removed bug: Frame counter did not update with Undo or Redo.

- Updated 'Save LEDitor animation' window.

- Added missing translations and help texts.

- Small fixes / changes.
    edited July 2017
    There is a bug in LEDitor v0.2.1 that makes it crash.

I'll update as soon as possible, but for now the solution is:
    After install:
    - Visit the settings page before creating and running a flow.
    If you first try to create / run a LEDitor flow, the app will crash.

Bug has been fixed in v0.2.2
  • zimbrazimbra Member
    any video examples?
  • zimbra said:
    any video examples?
    No. LEDitor starts with 30 empty presets. Users can create their own animations to fill these presets.
    So... LEDitor has nothing more to show than a user interface... not worth a video.

Most buttons and other parts of the app will show help-information when you move the mouse over them.
  • zimbrazimbra Member
    zimbra said:
    any video examples?
    No. LEDitor starts with 30 empty presets. Users can create their own animations to fill these presets.
    So... LEDitor has nothing more to show than a user interface... not worth a video.

Most buttons and other parts of the app will show help-information when you move the mouse over them.
    No I meant a video of the result :) just to have an idea what you can do with it 
    edited July 2017
    Just try it :)

There's a generator in it that creates all animations from the "LED Ring Collection" with the colors and other settings that you choose. You'll see a result within a few seconds.... ;)

And if you don't like it, just uninstall it again.... will be much faster than me creating a video.

One remark for the current version: Be sure to first visit the Settings page. If you first try to create flows, the app will crash. After visiting the settings page, you can play with the flows without a crash-risk.
    I solved this bug already, but the Athom crew did not authorize the update yet. They have a busy day, so I guess tomorrow it will be updated.
    ^
    fixed in v0.2.2
    edited August 2017
    For those who are curious about the developments regarding LEDitor.
    I expect to publish version 0.3.0 this week.
    It'll still be called Beta, but in the meantime, the personal hobby project starts to take the form of a serious public editor.

I'm still not completely satisfied with some things, so I'll need some time to tweak it the way I want it to be.
    At this time, version 0.2.2 is still available in the app store, but here's a preview for v0.3.0.

Completely reworked color display and selection.
    * New: LED/light related display of colors.
    * New: Pick the color from one LED and use it for further editing.
    * New: Gamma control to match the screen colors to the actual LED Ring colors.

* Updated: Palette expanded from 285 to 475 color tones. 19 colors / 25 brightness levels.
    * New: Advanced color selection lets you choose any color you like and save 24 as your personal favorites.

* Added option: Choose from 3 different types of gradient fills. HSV 1, HSV 2 or RGB. Previous LEDitor version only had RGB-fill.
    This image is an example for the 3 types of gradient fills... all range from bright red to weak orange.

* Expanded total number of animations from 30 to 100.
    * Removed bug: Fill-buttons were not always enabled when an animation contained inactive LEDs and 'All frames' was checked.
    * Removed bug: Frames that were imported from images were processed with unwanted color corrections.
    * Various small fixes and user interface updates.
    * Code optimizing and rewriting.
  • v0.3.0 is now available from the app-store.
  • (Respekt!)