This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Combining Homey with KaKu controller for better 433MHZ performance

Roos001Roos001 Member
edited April 2017 in Ideas & Suggestions

For those who can’t wait until Homey and 433 MHZ devices become better friends, but still want to use some Homey functions a solution is available. I bought myself a KaKu ICS 2000 controller (Yes, a little absurd when you already paid €299 for Homey). The communication between the ICS 2000 controller and KaKu devices is much more reliable than between Homey and the KakU 433 MHz devices.

I configured Homey in the ICS 2000 as a common on/off switch (f.i. a ACD 1000). In Homey I configured the ICS 2000 as a KaKu remote control device. In the learning mode of the ICS 2000 I cloned a remote control signal. Next action was tot  pair Homey with the remote control of which I used the signal to clone to the ICS 2000.

Now it is possible to “call” Homey in a ICS 2000 scene (“flow”)  by switching “on” the switch device (which I called Homey). When Homey receives the signal from the ICS 2000 controller, it is a trigger to start a Homey flow.

In my application I control the communication between my motion sensor and several KaKu switches with the ICS 2000 controller. From the ICS 2000 I send a signal to Homey, which on its turn says “There is someone at the front door”

(It is an easy solution,  but will cost you a hundred Euro extra)

Comments

• Now just sell ur Homey like stated before.
  • That;s not nice....
  • Bit surprised on the negative response as not everything is working smoothly and think we should encourage people to think about resolving challenges until these are permanently resolved.

Actually wondering myself if I could setup something similar with my homewizard controller. I do have regular challenges with KaKu devices even at very short distance.

• PilsPils Member
    I'm surprised also about the reaction from @Rocodamelshe ;

I did sent back my Homey last december and got all my money back, after 1 year intensive testing, because of all the problems which kept coming over and over.
    Think about stability, bugs, speech recognition, IR range, Zwave range, 433 range etc.

I did sent it back ,not that i didn't love the Homey project, but because it was still not what was promised and took me too much time instead of that it brought me more time.

I always planned about buying it again when most of the problems would be solved.
    So i read the forum often to get an idea about the status. It seems to be improved.

Also i read that in version 1.2 it was claimed by @emile that they improved the range a lot of 433mhz. 

It that not the case @roos001 ? Or was that only voor receiving and not voor sending range.

Maybe be little off-topic. But is Homey stable enough to buy it again?
  • Personally I have not seen significant improvements in speech, IR and 433 since release. I am pretty much convinced the limits are in the hardware and will not be overcome.
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited August 2017
    As the devil's advocate....

I have replaced almost all of my KaKu stuff with z-wave controlled devices. Not because it wasn't working, but because I missed the two-way communication. Kaku doesn't report it's state back.

However, I still have two KaKu ASUN-650's that control my blinds in the kitchen and the living room. They are controlled by Homey and I have never had them fail... Bare in mind; Homey is at close range; 6 meters and 2 meters to the curtains.
  • WRosWRos Member
    edited August 2017
    Homey could send a KaKa command very good. Over a great distance it's possible to control a KaKu receiver. The problem with KaKu is that Homey could retrieve the command of a KaKu sender very well. I'm want to use the ACDB-6600AC, but Homey could not retrieve the signal of this device over a distance of 6 meter included a wall and door. The same is for: AWST-8800
    Hopefully this getting better some time.
    Like Eternity does, I'm changing the most devices for Zwave-Zigbee components.