This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Cheapest way to turn on dumb TV through Homey

Lazy as I am I want to be able to turn on the TV in our bedroom without having to fetch the remote which could be anywhere in the room. As I always have my phone right next to me I'm looking for a solution for a WiFi to IR solution, preferably one that can also be controlled through API. And one last thing, I'm dutch and I dont want to spend a dime on it. Perhaps there is someone out there with a great suggestion. Things that have caught my interest so far.
  • Broadlink rm mini 3: cheap and nice but the third edition does have easy integration, I would have to see if integration with Homey is possible in any way.
  • Xiaomi Mi Home Smart Remote: cheap, nice but app seems to be in chinese only. I have not found any integration possibilities making integration with Homey near to impossible
  • Klikr: not really cheap looks nice but uses bluetooth, bluetooth support from Homey seems to be stuck in the pipeline and our bedroom is probably to far away any way. So integration with Homey is near to impossible.
  • Harmony Hub: did I say I want something cheap, well this sure isnt. I have one of these in the livingroom. Quite nice but to expensive and way to much functionality for what I want in the bedroom. Still, cant seem to shake this as option as I will certainly get the job done.
Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• EternityEternity Member
    edited April 2017
    • a long enough stick, to reach the power button from your bed (cheap!)
    • -an aupair (hmm....perhaps discuss that with the wife first)
    • a wife / gf.... some come with a difficult API .... and chinese versions seem nice too
    • a mistress (see option 2)
    • extend the ir receiver from the bedroom tv and place it next to Homey (needs just a wire)

Oh, and as you specified that you only want to be able to switch the TV on, I would recommend leaving it on ;-)
  • What is the status of the TV when you completely remove the power and give it power again? Does it switch on? In that case, simple KAKU/COCO unit on the power cord :)
  • Steefph said:
    What is the status of the TV when you completely remove the power and give it power again? Does it switch on? In that case, simple KAKU/COCO unit on the power cord :)
    It's already behind a zwave socket but it powers on in standby modus.
  • Phuturist said:
    Steefph said:
    What is the status of the TV when you completely remove the power and give it power again? Does it switch on? In that case, simple KAKU/COCO unit on the power cord :)
    In that case, some TV's have a hidden "hotel" menu where you could set extra settings like which HDMI to select and perhaps also the power state :) Do a search on your TV model and the keyword hotel menu. Perhaps it gives some result :)
  • Steefph said:
    Phuturist said:
    Steefph said:
    In that case, some TV's have a hidden "hotel" menu where you could set extra settings like which HDMI to select and perhaps also the power state :) Do a search on your TV model and the keyword hotel menu. Perhaps it gives some result :)
    Yea, i had the same issue and i received from Philips a custom firmware.
    this firmware turns on my TV instead of standby, it might be worth contacting the manufacturer 
  • Floodnl said:
    Steefph said:
    Phuturist said:
    Steefph said:
    this firmware turns on my TV instead of standby, it might be worth contacting the manufacturer 
    Thanx guys, will give that a try. It's a Samsung EU37D5x00 and support from Samsung seems to be pretty lame but I'll give it a shot.
  • FloodnlFloodnl Member
    edited April 2017
    Phuturist said:
    Floodnl said:
    Steefph said:
    Phuturist said:
    Steefph said:
    Thanx guys, will give that a try. It's a Samsung EU37D5x00 and support from Samsung seems to be pretty lame but I'll give it a shot.
    No problem check online there must be something that works if i google it: https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=service+menu+samsung+tv

possible solutions:
    http://www.askvg.com/secret-service-codes-for-sony-and-lg-tv/
    and