This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

voice/music output

I like to play the music from homey through my music installation. But the voice responces I would prefer to hear directly from the homey build-in speaker.
Is there a way to force this?
When my music installation is turned to tv or dvd , I can not hear Homey speak!

Comments

• So you want the voice of the Homey over the sound of your music? 
    As in interrupting the music?
    Or do you want the Homey to respond over the music still playing?
  • Personally, I think the build in speaker is not very good for voices. Voices output sounds a whole lot better via a normal speaker. The problem with having the line-out plugged in is that you don't hear anything if the sound system is turned off. One way to overcome this is to use a small portable speaker, but that's not great for music.

For now, the best/only way to separate voices and music is to use a Chromecast. I don't see the chromecast yet in the music output list, but I use a few 2-hours-playlists videos which I can trigger via flows. 
  • question,
    When I plug in my speaker-jack into homey, the speakers make a buzzing sound/noise.
    When I plug them back into something like my Phone or laptop, the buzzing is gone.
    Does anyone else recognizes this behaviour?
  • question,
    When I plug in my speaker-jack into homey, the speakers make a buzzing sound/noise.
    When I plug them back into something like my Phone or laptop, the buzzing is gone.
    Sometimes it comes from (one of) your power supply's,
    Are you using the original Homey USB adapter Athom provided?
    can you try plugging USB Adapter turned 180 degrees in the outlet?  (effectively change Fase / L and Neutral / N )
    Is your amplifier or Are your speakers powered by AC?
    If the first step doesn't change  you could also try it for the speaker/amplifier to change the AC wires.
  • question,
    Humming and buzzing can be caused by a ground loop. This occurs when multiple grounds are connected to your equipment. Example: Equipment can be grounded through both the power outlet and the TV cable ... Or the equipment is connected to different electrical power groups.
  • MarkVanWindenMarkVanWinden Member
    edited March 2017
    Oke, well gotta take some figuring out then, I do noticed that it is alot more with home then with my laptop/bluetooth receiver..
  • oke, why does this only occeurs with homey? I got multiple things hooked up(one at a time) only homey got this.
    Same power outlet etc.
    I also sometimes noticed a buzzing sound when Homey sits right next to one of my powered studio speakers... de buzzing is from those speakers and they are not connected to Homey in any direct or indirect way.
    Soluition for me was to move Homey a little further from the speaker.

Why this happens? I think because Homey is not shielded against radiation from its internal chips (which would disturb transmission of control signals)... In my case I only hear the buzzing when Homey is active... talking, running flows etc. There's no buzzing when Homey is standby running the LED-ring.

The same radiation will be a problem when the connected audio cable has insufficient shielding. It would pick up radiation from Homeys internals. The cable might be ok for smartphones or tablets, because those devices have better internal shielding for radiation to the outside world.