This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

When asking to dim the lights in the living room, also dims the lights in the hallway and 1st floor

Hi,

I've got this weird issue. When I ask homey to do something with the lights in the living room (like dimming, turning them on/off) it does this also for 2 other light sources (in the hallway and on the 1st floor). It's not doing it for all the lights.. the lights in the bedroom stay unaffected..

Is this a configuration parameter i missed?

I'm using homey with fibaro dimmers (just started, so I've only got 5 dimmers connected)

Cheers,

René

Comments

• Hé, was just thinking about asking the same question! I have exactly the same issue (and have been using Homey quite some time now).

When I ask Homey to turn on the lights in the living room the light in the bedroom sometimes also turns on, but the one in the bathroom does not. At one point I thought the KAKU-dimmer in the bedroom was perhaps once used in the living room (although it is now located in the bedroom-zone within Homey) so I completely reset it and re-added it. But that did not do the trick.

So I assume it is a bug in Homey, dunno if there is already a github issue (could not find one ATM)?
  • I thought it might gad something to do with my setup.. but good to hear someone else is also having a similar experience..
  • glijieglijie Member
    edited February 2017

Did you have your devices assigned all to the right room, If your devices are all in the living room and you say " lights living room on" then all lamps which are in the living room (devices which are assigned as lights when paired) will go on in the living room.

When you say just " lights on " all your lights in your house will go on.

So make sure your lights are ordered in the right rooms.

In my case I have to say:

Lichten aan woonkamer( lights on in living room)--> all lights in living room goes on
    lichten aan eetkamer (lights on dining room) --> all lights in dining room goes on
    enz..

lichten aan( lights on) --> All lights goes on in  living room and dining room and enz...

Don't you want all lights to go on in f.e. living room, then you have to make a flow of your own and avoid the trigger word "light" in that flow f.e. "living room on" --> the assigned lights will go on.

• Happens here as well, but Homey is quite clear in reaponding what he heard. So if I tell him 'turn the lights in the living room on' and it responds with 'turning lights on' the it didn't understand the words living room. If I responds with 'turning lights on in the living room', and it then always turns on the lights in the living room.

I figured out that the Homey respons is better to : turn lights in the living room on, then when I say turn on the lights in the living room
  • You can always try to find out if it's the speech-recognition by entering a sentence at:
    http://[here your homey ip]/manager/speech-input
  • I fully agree with the 'workaround' for the living room (I have something similar myself) but that does not solve the curious case that when Homey apperently does not understand 'living room' it only turns on part of the lights in your home?!? Shouldn't it then turn on all the lights? Very curious then based on what the selection is made by Homey. 
  • I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with controlling your lights by mentioning the name of a zone. Obviously this is something which Homey should be able to do.

The way this zone detection works right now is pretty crude. That's why I have created a new way for Homey to work with zones, which should solve the problem you are having. It's going through testing right now and will be included in the 1.2.0 update. So if you can bear with us for just a little longer, this issue should automatically be fixed soon!
  • Good to hear it will be solved soon. Two related questions @Robert

1. I have a Z-Wave dimmer added as a socket with a light connected to it. I had to add it as a socket instead of as a light because otherwise the power consumption is not measured. This light obviously does not get turned on via the Homey command, but will it ever be possible to measure power consumption when it is defined as a light? Or does that depends on the brand of your switch?
    2. When using the built-in voice command to turn on your lights, which dimming level does it use? Last used? This because I have different settings for this. 
  • @Julian:

1. We are aware of this limitation and it is on the to do list to get this working in the future.
    2. The last dim level before turning the light off is the dim level which will also be used again when the light is turned back on.
  •  I did assign my lights to diëten zones, e.g. hallway, living room, 1st floor and bedroom..

I just installed the Version 1.1.9 I believe. It looks like it is responding better to my voice... but might be that im speaking more clearly..

I'll try it a couple more times this week and let you know how it turns out for me.