This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

433MHz RF Arduino compatible

Hello everyone!

Every since I backed the Athom project and preordered my Homey, I have been excited about the fairly cheap 433 frequency. I purchased several very cheap plugs that have a remote to them, and they have the on and off function. From the video demos of Homey I understand that with for example IR remotes, you can simply teach homey how to turn something on and off, and then use that in the homey backend. I'm really hoping that this goes the same for the 433mhz devices, like specifically my plugs. they are pretty generic, a Czech product I bought locally, I hope that these can also work the same way (homey asks me to turn on and off device, and then asks if that's the right one). I have a wireless doorbell at my apartment that also uses this frequency, And i would also be really happy if homey could learn the signal and then send my iPhone a push notification saying that someone is ringing by bell.

What interests me a bit more is the 433 frequency for Arduino. I'm not a programmer and I have close to no experience with coding and programming, nevertheless because of a school project I got submerged into the world of hacking, IoT, and home automation, and all that through Arduino. I have purchased two sets of Arduino 433mhz receivers and senders, and was really hoping that when, in the future, I get to hook these up to do something at my house, that it would also be possible for homey to understand this communication. Specifically, they are these: http://www.dx.com/p/433mhz-rf-transmitter-receiver-link-kit-green-221225#.VXmd2mBGRhM

I searched the Athom forums and 433 seems to be left out a bit, and I did not find anything specifically about these sorts of communications. I understand it might get annoying that everyone has a specific question about their own device, So sorry for that in advance. Any information from the team is highly appreciated, and I'm also wondering if any of the other backers have similar intentions with their Homey's!

Wishing luck on the molds & getting this off the road,
Tommy

Comments

• In Homey it's possible to write a 'driver' so that you can 'teach' Homey how to use the device.
    Only requirement is that is uses one of the supported wireless frequencies/protocols (like 433MHz, Zigbee, Z-Wave, Bluetooth, wifi etc)

• tommyjaytommyjay Member
    edited June 2015

That is great. I'm really hoping that these could be somehow universal (the driver), because the ones I have are generic and I doubt many people will have these specific ones.

Just by the way @RobinVanKekem, I've been crawling on the forums a lot lately, and keep seeing reference to the 868MHz frequency (which from what I understand is somehow similar to the 433, I tried googling but didn't find any pointers), but I am wondering if there's any chance that Homey communicates on this frequency; and if yes do you think that this similar driver (app) for homey could understand 868mhz light switches?

• Searched the forum and since Somfy IO is also 868MHz it would seem that's it's possible.
    Driver can be made 'universal' but it really depends on the sensor...

• That would be great. Those light switches are pretty expensive, so I wouldn't want to waste the money. I guess I'll wait for Homeys to be everywhere (including my home) and make the decision then. Thanks for you help Robin! :)

• Your welcome

This discussion has been closed.