This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Getting sound information from mics

From some other thread I understood that Athom does not want to make Homey's sound input available to developers. I can sympathize with that to some point concerning raw sound data.

But... We don't need raw sound input to make it usable for some nice apps.
All we need is the sound level for a few (let's say 6) frequency bands at a scan-rate of about 10 times a second.
That information would be useless for making sound recordings, or to listen in on conversations.
But ... Such information would be of inestimable value to have a party, in which the levels of the frequency bands can be used for controlling lights ... or to fire certain actions at a certain level of noise in the room.

Comments

• Netatmo has sensors that give a soundlevel, the indoor weather sensor and the new healthy home coach which isn't supported yet I think.

Temperatuur
    Meetbereik: 0°C tot 50°C
    Nauwkeurigheid ± 0.3°C

Luchtvochtigheid
    Meetbereik: 0 tot 100%
    Nauwkeurigheid: ± 3%

CO2-sensor
    Meetbereik: 0 tot 5000 ppm
    Nauwkeurigheid: ± 50 ppm of ± 5%

Geluidsmeter
    Meetbereik: 35 tot 120 dB

I must say the temperature measurement is not very accurate but gives a global overview of the trend.

• OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited January 2017
    Nico_GH2 said:

Netatmo has sensors that give a soundlevel

Yes... I have the weather station + extra modules myself, but it's only sampled once every 10 minutes max. That's unusable for rhythmic light effects for which you need at least 5 to 10 readings a second.