This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Congratulations Homey

Homey is one year old today
On January 6th 2016 the first customers connected their Homey's <3

And Homey has come a long way since then. Who remembers all the bricked Homeys with the first FW-update delivered, voice which had to be trained but still, after that, tried to understand what the radio said about 200 times per hour (that must have been a gigantic load on the servers...), a complete Zwave-rewrite, a core-rewrite, crashing Homey's due to some memory-bug in json which nobody ever discovered, KaKu crashing every day etc etc. But slowly Homey has grown in a stable system which lots of people use every day...

And of course, there's still room for improvement. Voice doesn't work very well for everybody, 433Mhz-signals (especially receiving) could be better, IR sending and reveicing is still limited and I still miss playing radio1 though Homey.

I did some research the last days and discovered that worldwide there's still no other product which has such an extensive feature-set as Homey. Domoticz can do most things Homey can but it's really a lot of work to set this up and even then the interface isn't nearly as good as Homey's. Google Home, Apple Homekit, Amazon Echo : nice but they don't talk to every other Domotica-device and their business-model is collecting your data to be able to sell more products to you. And yes, certain parts may work better (like voice) but consider they have a lot of engineers working on it and lots of money to burn on a small subset of the things Homey can do. I found one other product which claims the same features but this has been delayed a couple of times already, so really I didn't find a serious competitor.

There's still tons of features haven't been exposed to us, the users of Homey. Like Bluetooth (ok, partially), media (this month :) ) and zigbee to name a few. But every FW there's new improvements and additions... The next months are going to be great (to quote @Emile).

So congratulations to the Athom-team!

Comments

• That's why I think we should all vote on Tweakers for Homey as the best domotica-platform...
    https://tweakers.net/awards/stemmen/459/Smarthomeplatform
  • Congratulations Homey, all os you at Athom, and all happy owners of Homey!
    Annemarie sent out the Homey as soon as I came back from a trip to Valletta in oktober. Before ordering the Homey I had done some reading on the site, this forum, slack, and trello.

Two months later Homey is running the routines I set out for it to to. And so much more,
    I am checking Slack every day where any question or any "noob"'s frustration is picked up aby the community straight away. Who can resist to figure out and learn a bit about variables, and tags, and more? Friendly and very dedicated member add their apps to the store faster than I can adopt the possibilities they provide for my Homey! Thank you, all my new friends at Slack!

When I was in poor communication with Homey because of compatibility/device/interface issues I reached out to Athom, where tons of work is in process. Replies were swift but the problems remained unsolved. I was able to provide some error reporting and some reference to earlier issues and conclusions of other users. Annemarie checked with collegues at  Athom, and said that the upcoming update of Homey would solve my problems, and so it did! Thank you, all at Athom!

I do not recall buying anything which brought me this kind of "social experience".
    And we are only one year old!

• edited January 2017

Homey is one year old today
    On January 6th 2016 the first customers connected their Homey's <3

And Homey has come a long way since then. Who remembers all the bricked Homeys with the first FW-update delivered, voice which had to be trained but still, after that, tried to understand what the radio said about 200 times per hour (that must have been a gigantic load on the servers...), a complete Zwave-rewrite, a core-rewrite, crashing Homey's due to some memory-bug in json which nobody ever discovered, KaKu crashing every day etc etc. But slowly Homey has grown in a stable system which lots of people use every day...

And of course, there's still room for improvement. Voice doesn't work very well for everybody, 433Mhz-signals (especially receiving) could be better, IR sending and reveicing is still limited and I still miss playing radio1 though Homey.

I did some research the last days and discovered that worldwide there's still no other product which has such an extensive feature-set as Homey. Domoticz can do most things Homey can but it's really a lot of work to set this up and even then the interface isn't nearly as good as Homey's. Google Home, Apple Homekit, Amazon Echo : nice but they don't talk to every other Domotica-device and their business-model is collecting your data to be able to sell more products to you. And yes, certain parts may work better (like voice) but consider they have a lot of engineers working on it and lots of money to burn on a small subset of the things Homey can do. I found one other product which claims the same features but this has been delayed a couple of times already, so really I didn't find a serious competitor.

There's still tons of features haven't been exposed to us, the users of Homey. Like Bluetooth (ok, partially), media (this month :) ) and zigbee to name a few. But every FW there's new improvements and additions... The next months are going to be great (to quote @Emile).

So congratulations to the Athom-team!
    ***** Congratulations to the Athom-team ***** Vote on Tweakers for Homey ***** Simply the Best *****
             domotica-platform <3