This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Android App on Raspberry Pi 3

Using speech commands is for very lazy moments. For example: while lying in bed.
There isn't a Homey device in my bedroom, so I had to speak to the smartphone.
Unlock device --> Start Homey app --> give command..........
THATS TO MUCH

So I have decided to try to install the Homey app on a raspberry pi. Then I could give speech command in other rooms then the living room. I thought its a little project, but the Homey app crashes when started. I think the crash is related to the missing microphone. So I will order a microphone for the raspberry pi.

Android PI "desktop":

Android PI Homey app:

The steps I've done:
Download raspberry pi Android image.
Write the image on a micro SD card.
Put card in rapberry pi 3 and start the rpi.
Connect a USB stick with the Homey Android APP (apk-file)
Install the app.

After login Athom account, the app is crashed.
For now, I'm waiting for the microphone. Hopefully the microphone will resolve the problem, then I've planned to connect a microphone for any room.

Comments

• smart idea!
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited December 2016
    @WRos
    What a clever idea! I have 2 RPi's at home, one for streaming music (running Volumio) and one for streaming video (running Openelec/Kodi); these draw 2 to 3 Watt.... so you could basically leave them on 24/7.

So, having RPi's as Homey microphone slaves is a great idea!

Hope you can get it to work!
  • Hi @WRos,
    Any progress with this? Sounds like a good solution.

greetings,
    Aaron
  • i think u also need a speaker to have a feedback..
  • Great idea!
    How about also adding an IR transmitter\receiver so it is possible to control Flows with an IR remote control and\or let Homey control IR devices in other rooms.. 
  • @Aaron: I didn't ordered a mic. Tomorrow I will order one. I'm not a real Tweaker with a lot of time. The concept with Android on a RPI was interested me. So I try to fix a solution for Homey in my bedroom. Hopefully a mic will prevent that the Homey App crashed. Before I do some test work, I think its 2 month later.
    So, the progress is very very low.

• AaronAaron Member
    edited January 2017
    :smile: @WRos
    I understand. I will try it myself. Lets see if it works.

• DenW said:
    Great idea!
    How about also adding an IR transmitter\receiver so it is possible to control Flows with an IR remote control and\or let Homey control IR devices in other rooms.. 
    That will not be as easy as installing an Android image on a RPi and running the app...
    How will you handle signals?