This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Tip: report KaKu blinds status

EternityEternity Member
edited November 2016 in Questions & Help
Contrary to Z-Wave, the KaKu/CoCo protocol is a 1-way communication. So, if you believe you have closed the blinds, you can not really be shore that the are indeed closed...
The problem I had, was that after a Homey reboot, my blinds would open. Don't know why, but this is annoying. If I am away I want to be sure the blinds are closed at night. As I am thinging of using the Candy App to reboot my Homey every night (to solve my Greenwave powernode problem....), I had to find a way to make sure the blinds are really closed.

Perhaps I have made something over complicated, but this works for me. If my blinds are not closed when the sun is set, I receive an email. 

I created  boolean variable in Beter Logic "Blinds are open".

In every flow that contains my blinds, I set this boolean value.

PS
I have doubled the 'close blinds" instructions, with a 60 second delay. This makes sure the blinds are really closed, even if the first command was not heard by the ASUN-650....

In a new flow, I added the instruction to email me if the boolean value is true (blinds are open) and it is night.

Comments

• But now you still don't know the status of your blinds? When will the variable 'keuken gordijn is open' go to true?

• Edited the post.

btw... I have not been able to use the 'value' and 'variable' tags in the email message... Any suggestions how to use these?
  • Still the same question.. ;) When will the variable 'keuken gordijn is open' go to true?
  • So, if I open the blinds (via Voice, a Flow or a Fibaro relay, I also set the boolean to 'true').
  • So you still don't know the 'real' status? What if KaKu missed the signals? What if the blinds are opened after a reboot? What if they are closed because the cat jumped in to them?
  • Thanks for the tip!

KaKu is perhaps not 100% reliable, but it is relatively cheap and it works good enough. With this tip, KaKu devices and the Homey platform become more flexible and more powerful.
    I will begin adding this pattern for all my KaKu devices. It is relatively little effort and it allows for some nice future enhancements. 
  • @keverjeroen ;
    I agree, I wouldn't want this work around in a critical situation , but it helps me to know that the blinds status is more reliable.   

@JaapPelt ;
    Nice to see someone using my suggestion