This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Shut-up homey

I know it is not so easy to let homey start talking :) , but once he does, you sometimes get unwanted information or an enormous list like traffic information.

Is there a way to stop this output? I tried the phone app, but it seems like homey is not listening while talking...

Comments

• I know it is not so easy to let homey start talking :) , but once he does, you sometimes get unwanted information or an enormous list like traffic information.

Is there a way to stop this output? I tried the phone app, but it seems like homey is not listening while talking...
    Contact the developer of the application with such a request. As far as I know homey is not listening while talking because this would cause homey to react on itself. 
  • Earlier you could do this through the web-interface or the Homey-phone-app on the media-page. Guess it will come back as soon as media is finished (or re-finished?)
  • Your suggestion would mean that all apps have to be equiped with some kind of magic interrupt keyword. It seems much easier to me if homey would have such a magic keyword by default, in a sense like "ok homey"; something like "stop homey".

When homey does not listen while speaking, this seems like a real challenge to me...
  • Or just use oké Homey as the stop-trigger too. Triggers are really difficult and this one works now if only Homey wouldn't make too much sound itself... I already use oké Homey as a trigger to mute the tv...
  • Your suggestion would mean that all apps have to be equiped with some kind of magic interrupt keyword. It seems much easier to me if homey would have such a magic keyword by default, in a sense like "ok homey"; something like "stop homey".

When homey does not listen while speaking, this seems like a real challenge to me...
    Apps don't have to be equiped with a specified keyword but they could limit their responses. Take for instance the traffic app ( is it https://apps.athom.com/app/eu.jeroensomhorst.anwb by any chance? ). The developer could make an option into it so the user can select how many rules should be returned at max. 
  • @jjtbsomhorst ;
    Yes, that is the one I'm using. Nice app btw, works very well.
    Maximizing rules is an option or maybe a timer? F.I. max. 30 seconds of traffic information then end with some remark like "there is more trafic". Or a combination of timeout after a specific road has been passed.

@basvandenbosch
    Bringing the trigger back would be good, lets hope so.
    I did some testing, but I'm quite certain when homey is talking he is not listening.

"I already use oké Homey as a trigger to mute the tv..."
    This should bring you a mute of 3-4 sec. or do you have a trick to totally mute the sound by calling homey?

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited October 2016
    "oké Homey ..... shut up" and a flow which triggers on "shut up" and mutes both my tv and radio....
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited October 2016
    Problem is, when Homey is in the middle of processing a different flow, he will not listen to "OK Homey, shut up" (or any other voice input, for that matter).

But this should always work:

http://{your-homey-ip}/manager/speech-input/

"stop"
  • KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
    edited October 2016
    Your suggestion would mean that all apps have to be equiped with some kind of magic interrupt keyword. It seems much easier to me if homey would have such a magic keyword by default, in a sense like "ok homey"; something like "stop homey".

Apps don't have to be equiped with a specified keyword but they could limit their responses. Take for instance the traffic app ( is it https://apps.athom.com/app/eu.jeroensomhorst.anwb by any chance? ). The developer could make an option into it so the user can select how many rules should be returned at max. 
    Whilst this is true, it is a terrible effort to have every developer build this in their apps.
    I suggest athom provides an extra setting on the settings page with a max time Homey should give 1 response. If this time is exceeded, let Homey give a short warning ('There is more information') and let him shut up.

Don't rely on 50+ developers to add a change to their apps.
  • "oké Homey ..... shut up" and a flow which triggers on "shut up" and mutes both my tv and radio....
    Yeah, sure !!  :p
  • Bumblez said:
    Problem is, when Homey is in the middle of processing a different flow, he will not listen to "OK Homey, shut up" (or any other voice input, for that matter).

But this should always work:

http://{your-homey-ip}/manager/speech-input/

"stop"
    Good suggestion, thanks. I'm going to try this and if it works make some shortcut on my phone.