This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Initial set up

I have just tried to set up the Homey, but the device does not connect to my home WiFi network. I have rebooted the router and the device. Does anyone have any suggestions

Comments

• U use Chrome?
    Did u try to close ur 5 ghz channels?
    Did u adjust the password to something easy with no special characters?
    Maybe discribe what u did and where ur at and how u got there.
  • I didn't use Chrome. I will try Chrome first.

Thanks

• I tried Chrome and get the same result. I rebooted the Homey, connected to the Homey WiFi. I then selected my home network, input the password. The Homey tries to connect but times out

• I assume u did also try the 2nd and 3th thingie i mentioned?

• Yes.
  • Just to be sure, what device are you using?  Tablet, laptop, ...?
  • I have tried Laptop and Smart phone
  • Ok, laptop with Chrome, that's good.
    Next thing to check: your router.  Does it have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz enabled?  Complex password?
  • 2.4 enabled only. Simple password
  • Hm, all out of ideas now.  :/
  • No problems.
  • Sorry guys, there are things that I not can follow.

Is it the set-up true  https://setup.athom.com  what don't work or the connection later with the home WiFi network.

• I connect to my home wifi, go to setup and then connect to the Homey Wi Fi OK. It is when I try to connect the homey to my home network when the problem arises.
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited October 2016
    It's a known problem and it will be solved later. For now i would advise: Try till u die.
    And if u can: try to set up another 2.4 wifi channel, just to check.

• OK, I understand now.

Then is IP conflict the last ting where I can think of.
    The mac-address you can find it under settings > the geek stuff > network part.
    If you give that a fixed IP address in you router then you now that this can be a problem anymore.

• Thanks for the info. I will try tomorrow.
  • I have a couple of gripes with homey, the initial setup and the crappy (initial) user experience 
    When I got the thing i had to reset and try again about 7 times before it worked
    My problem was I used my android tablet & phone, when i used my chromebook it worked

steps I followed
    1. hook up the homey until he mentions "go to setup.athom.com"
    2. go to setup.athom.com 
    3. connect to the "setup homey" wifi network 
    4. select your network & enter PW
    5. check the IP address and put an entry in the router to always give this IP to Homey (DHCP reservation)    

Rinse and repeat untill it works

Couple of things that might interfere with the above,
    Multiple Wifi access points with the same name,  disable all but the closest and use that to connect
    "odd" wifi channels, best option 1, 6 or 11
    Alternative could be create a temporary wifi network w/o password, update homey and try again with your own wifi network..  
    good luck 

• I have problems with the homey and wifi.
    On 2,4 Ghz is it to crowdy.
    I can only use channel 13 and its looks homey is not supporting channel 13.
    homey does also not supporting 5 Ghz I think.
    Is there a cable network adaptor I can use or a way to use 2,4 GHz channel 13?
This discussion has been closed.