This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

[KAKU] Homey has troubles switching lights off

I have three KAKU-switches in the garden: one close to the house and two further away. Now each morning, one or two of the lights further away is still on. I was expecting this to be caused by the distance, but the strange thing is switching on works flawless!
When I try to switch the lights off using the app, it sometimes works. Switching them off with the KAKU-remote also works flawless.

Can anyone tell what could be the problem here? I still expect the distance to be a problem, but that wouldn't explain why switching on works fine every time.

Comments

• HansieNLHansieNL Member
    edited October 2016
    As the nearest one is switched off maybe Homey can't reach the other one(s).
    Can you try to switch off at first the one the most far away and at last the nearest one. Maybe you can use the delay in the flow.
  • Is it really a mesh network? Never knew that. I thought that was one of the advantages of zwave over KAKU. But I will try it today!
  • It is in my mind also not a mesh net work.

What it can be is often difficult to understand. Even with the ICS-1000 from KaKu/COCO I have that some times.

• In adding something to the advice of @Amelsfort you can give in the flow that off command a second time with a delay.
  • Amelsfort said:
    Is it really a mesh network? Never knew that. I thought that was one of the advantages of zwave over KAKU. But I will try it today!
    My misstake about mesh.
  • AmelsfortAmelsfort Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't think a delay will fix this (I will try though), since this problem also occurs when I try to turn a single light off using the app.
    Ah, now I understand the idea. But I'm still wondering if that will work, since, when I use the app, I have to switch the lights on and off a lot of times, without any response. But I will try!
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited October 2016
    In adding something to the advice of @Amelsfort you can give in the flow that off command a second time with a delay.
    Indeed, or use this flow in general alongside the others:

or will this keep running? Then you have to do something (like create a variable) to stop this flow...
  • The flow you show now is not clear to me @BasVanDenBosch ;.

Is "uitgezet" a trigger that the plafond lamp is relay switch off? Then you don't have to so the a second time?

You have needed two device cards in the action column.
    One with no delay. The second with delay.
    The delay time I would take 30 sec. Then it stays in the same minutes and can not conflict with other time triggers.
    Trigger from sensors will be always random and can interfere.   

• My Kaku in the garden is set to go off 3 times , all with a delay of 1 sec.
    So off, after 1 sec off again and after 2 sec off again.
    Athom is working on this.
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited October 2016
    When I go to bed, I let Homey switch off 4 devices at one's and that go's very well with no extra delay needed.

With my double cards option I hope that problems by distends can solved that a little bit. 

• AmelsfortAmelsfort Member
    edited October 2016
    That also works fine for the lights in the living room, but not for the ones in the garden. The only difference is the type of switch ('normal' ones in the living room and the outdoor types in the garden) and the distance.
  • In the garden I use the 6x the ACM-3500-3 but I switch them with the ADC-1000 in the KaKu app.
    Inside the home is it mostly the ADC-1000.
  • adjuadju Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't have a solution for you but something to consider.
    I had the same problem,
    Months ago I installed two lights in the garden both with there own switches. At the time I had homewizard for 
    switching the lights. They turned on but wouldn't go off.
    The lights where halogen, after looking on the Internet I found out that halogen lights can disturb the signals on
    433 mhz, so on was oke because the lights where off, off was a problem because the halogen was burning , and one of theme was near the switches moved it further away and problem solved.

Later I installed a pond filter with UV light, same thing occurred but now with the other one, in this case I moved the switch further away from the filter and problem solved. UV light produces a hi frequency so this was disturbing the signal.

Than I received my homey and tried the same thing thus the lamp near the switch and switch near the UV light same
    thing happens.

In short, is there maybe something near the switches what can interfere with the signals. 
  • One of the lights is a LED-spot, so halogen is also not an issue here. But it's something I can also test!
  • Just searched the Internet, and to my surprise LED lights can also disturb a signal.
    Seems that china stuff is the wurst. Especially the 240 volts with their own adapter in the foot of the lamp.
  • Had the exact same issue last week, caused by my router.. Placed the kaku device one meter away from it and that solved the problem.

I know its not relevant for your situation but it looks like interference. 
  • I moved the light a bit further from the switch and the behaviour did change! Now I was unable to switch the light on with the app! :(
    Homey itself (automatically from a flow) was able to switch the light on! But this morning, the light was still on and I was unable to switch it off using the app again. So neither moving the light, changing the order of lights or adding a second off-action with a delay fixed the issue.
  • Switching that light from the device page, is that also not working?
    So you can possible problems with the app set a site.
  • It is working fine for other lights. Also when I change a BitFlip-device, Homey executes the flow correctly and turns on the lights. But then I was unable to switch one of them off using the app/device page.
  • adjuadju Member
    edited October 2016
    You said that whit the original KaKu remote everything was working. 
    Did you try to switch your lights with the remote standing near to homey?
    What kind of glas do you have in your windows HR+ or HR++ ?  That can make a difference regarding to distance.
    I know it's not a solution but IMO it still seems that something is interfering with the (radio) signal.
    Do you neighbors have a weather station nearby? This transmits a signal on 433 mhz every minute or so.
  • changing the coax-cable of the tv-set had the effect that KaKu became much better:
    https://athomcommunity.slack.com/archives/general/p1476273413009947

This discussion has been closed.