This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

IR learning mostly not working

Homey Firmware Version: 0.10.3

Adding IR device, 'copy from a remote' up to now only works with Samsung blu-ray player and no other device among which KPN iTV, Sony TV, Panasonic projector. GUI indicates learning stage is complete, but in Flow devices do not work (apart from the Samsung).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• "Ir learning mostly not working"  then ur saying it only works with the samsung remote.
    after that ur saying that the gui says learning worked for other remotes, but not working in flows.

now is the learning not working or are ur devices not responding to homey?
    if the samsung blueray player works, ur ir in homey is fine, im wondering how ur devices respond to there original remote, do u have to aim at them, or can u aim at a wall and does it bounce, couse if u cant, ull have to aim homey at them aswell.
  • Learning does not work. Cycle with Samsung remote leads to working Homey. Same cycle with other (original) remotes does not lead to working situation.

Factors like distance, aim, etc are all accounted for. 
  • To be more precise: for me IR learning only seems to work in a particular case and not in three others.
  • same here, while learning the ir code,  homey software reacts and records the signal but in a flow it doesn't work or it will sometimes work.
  • MarcelKuijperMarcelKuijper Member
    edited October 2016
    So when ur trying to add a button, u see this big button on ur screen, when u then press a button while aiming at homey the big button does not "bounce" ? 
    Are u sure the remote is ir and not for example rf or ble?

• same here, while learning the ir code,  homey software reacts and records the signal but in a flow it doesn't work or it will sometimes work.
    Then the learning works doesnt it? Its just ur device not responding to homey, then its probably a range or aim failure, like i said in a previous post, how is the original remote to ur device, do u have to aim it, or does it work when u randomly aim it at a wall,
    its not only the sender that has to work, also the receiver.

for example i got this soundbar wich doesnt respond to homey because hes not in front of the sound bar, but its the same with the original remote, i have to aim it decently if i aim at it from the side it doesnt respond.
  • IR has never worked for me and it does not work in 0.10.3. The block goes down but nothing happens with my remotes (none are in the database).
  • Wrong, it does work, just not in the way ur using it, thats something different.
    my tv works perfectly, yet as i said above my sound bar does not with the current placement.
  • You're reasoning is flawed. You can't possibly know whether the learning always works, because there is no way to tell. The fact that the learning cycle completes doesn't prove that the end result that is stored and used by Homey when sending is correct. In my case this obviously depends on the type of original remote.

Furthermore as I said, factors like aim angle, distance have been accounted for, e.g. even in front of the devices at short distance does not make a difference.

So the fact that something is working in your situation does not invalidate the problems that I encounter.
  • Have you tryed moving homey infront or aim homey at ur device?
  • Apparently you read English as bad as you write. I wrote: "Furthermore as I said, factors like aim angle, distance have been accounted for, e.g. even in front of the devices at short distance does not make a difference."
  • improve the IR is a must, also adding a feature to test the signal that homey learned without having to create a flow all the time.. also we need the ability to edit the ir device..(i found that also in another discussion)
  • There is No reason to insult, im done helping, it works at my place. Good luck have fun!
  • Insult wasn't intended, but somehow I had to get your attention to prevent you to ask the same question over and over again, which I had answered already.
  • You can read in depth discussion here https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1547/trouble-getting-ir-buttons-to-be-recognised/p1

From my experience it's pretty much the same, some buttons are recognized with learning but none of them actually works with the device. Tried with different angles, distances etc.. IR is very limited and looks like hardware issue.
  • Yes i did put some effort in that topic aswell, modified homey to see results, was on a different firmware version then, maybe thats the reason why its working with me right now.
  • ClemensLR said:
    Apparently you read English as bad as you write. I wrote: "Furthermore as I said, factors like aim angle, distance have been accounted for, e.g. even in front of the devices at short distance does not make a difference."
    There is No reason to insult, im done helping, it works at my place. Good luck have fun!
    I agree with Clemens. This discussion is to help each other, not just telling 'everything is working fine with me'.
    If you encountered the same issue before and solved it; share it - that's helping!

• Rob_B said:
    ClemensLR said:
    Apparently you read English as bad as you write. I wrote: "Furthermore as I said, factors like aim angle, distance have been accounted for, e.g. even in front of the devices at short distance does not make a difference."
    There is No reason to insult, im done helping, it works at my place. Good luck have fun!
    I agree with Clemens. This discussion is to help each other, not just telling 'everything is working fine with me'.
    If you encountered the same issue before and solved it; share it - that's helping!

I was trying to help and find out what the problem was, obviously hé got anoyed with my english, and started to insult.

Its pretty obvious im done helping then, /care if u dont understand that.
  • @MarcelKuijper ;
    -1 and stop acting like a child... if u not can help, dan stop this.
  • Let's stop this discussion and move on, shall we? Let us focus on Homey, it's software an iR please!
  • wow
  • Ur alle complaining about me not helping, if u scroll up i was the only 1 replying, anyway read the other topic mentioned in the discussion, i did make some adjustments to my homey. if u dont mind some bigger holes in ur homey, u could try that aswell.
  • Hi Guys :) It's great that people trying to help each other so lets keep it nice! IR is still something we are working on and any input and your experiences are really welcome! I would not recommend making bigger holes in your Homey, but if nothing works for you please let me know so we can see if there is maybe a problem with your Homey. 
  • steenjensensteenjensen Member
    edited October 2016
    I made bigger holes in my homey, even for the ones that are hidden... most say it helped a lot ;-)
  • Id sugest moving to the other topic, 
    but yes some of my ir leds where blocked aswell, athom said tho that the led ring would pick it up and spraid the signal. 
  • Hi, I keep coming back to the IR remote / add device proces every few weeks. unfortunately I am disappointed every time.
    I see no improvement. It does not receive the signal. It does not even find ANY samsung remotes. 
    Can you tell me what te status is on this? 
  • The status is that i buy harmony hub and use it with homebridge and raspberry. I put the harmony hub under homey and it can reach everything ...now i know why harmony app exist under homey app store
  • Forgot to mention that i can use it with siri 
  • Hi there,

I have a Philips TV with a pfl4007 remote control and also I'm not able to get it to work. the pfl4007 seems not in the database and learning 1 button (on/off) does not work. I tried several times. Should be very nice when it should work.
  • Sommo said:
    The status is that i buy harmony hub and use it with homebridge and raspberry. I put the harmony hub under homey and it can reach everything ...now i know why harmony app exist under homey app store
    + 100 Euros, where does it ends