This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

How smart is the speech recognition?

Qx5Qx5 Member
Hi Homey team!

I was wondering how smart the voice recognition is. In specific the link between speech recognition and command recognition.
Do you need to say the exact sentence you programmed into homey? like:

programmed: Hey Homie, set the speakers to bluetooth.
saying: Hey homie, put the speakers in bluetooth mode.

result: Homey doesnt recognize the commando.

Or is it looking for keywords like: [speakers] [bluetooth]?

The latter would of course be optimal. I'm wondering because I got into a fight with Siri yesterday night ;-)

cheers!

Comments

• Who won?
  • Hi Homey team!

I was wondering how smart the voice recognition is. In specific the link between speech recognition and command recognition.
    Do you need to say the exact sentence you programmed into homey? like:

programmed: Hey Homie, set the speakers to bluetooth.
    saying: Hey homie, put the speakers in bluetooth mode.

result: Homey doesnt recognize the commando.

Or is it looking for keywords like: [speakers] [bluetooth]?

The latter would of course be optimal. I'm wondering because I got into a fight with Siri yesterday night ;-)

cheers!
    No, you do not need to say an exact sentence to execute commands. You can just phrase the command in a way that you think is clear. In fact, Homey doesn't use preprogrammed sentences for this at all.

The only exception is if you have created your own custom flow. For these you need to specify trigger words when you are creating the flow. But since you get to choose them yourself this shouldn't be an issue, just pick something you think is convenient :)
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    Who won?
    Haha I'm afraid Siri was too stubborn for me....

And thanks for the answer Robert! Sounds perfect. I just learned about the trigger words in the amazon Echo topic. Seems like a powerful solution!
  • Yep, Siri is almost the same as a human :-)
This discussion has been closed.