This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Dot : The Physical Push Notification - Presence at home (rooms)

interesting kickstarter's project, i've backed it.
fot those that are searching something to track where u are at home.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1867163750/dot-the-physical-push-notification?ref=hero_thanks

Comments

• backed to for three. now lets hope athom has any bluetooth enabled when this comes out q2 2017. who knows , maybee they will make it  :D
  • :D backed for 3 me too, and have the same hope.. u need your iphone/android phone next to you to do the magic, so the interact could work homeyless.. anyway could be usefull to integrate it to homey (open api for dot)
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited August 2016
    mruiter said:
    backed to for three. now lets hope athom has any bluetooth enabled when this comes out q2 2017. who knows , maybee they will make it  :D
    Communication goes through your phone so there should be no need to directly connect it to Homey using Bluetooth. There would no point in doing so right?

It's interesting to improve home and even room detection though but you'd have to have your phone with you at all times.
  • If the software pushes it's data to the android "location" parameters it could work with Homey really well. That's the data the Homey phone-app sends to you Homey, isn't it?
  • Backed 3 as well.

Would it be possible to connect it with Homey, so Homey knows where you are and activate / de-activate sertain things?

• If the software pushes it's data to the android "location" parameters it could work with Homey really well. That's the data the Homey phone-app sends to you Homey, isn't it?
    Sure but you'd still need your phone and there would not be a direct connection between the dot and Homey that would require the Bluetooth functionality of Homey.

Having the dot app update the android location so the Homey app knows you are home might work but it won't be accurate enough to know in which room you are. Preferably the dot app can send HTTP Put Requests so it can update variables on Homey which allow you to trigger flows for specific rooms. If it can't you could probably still get this working using the dot together with Tasker. This is the best option for room based location I have seen so far.

Will probably order some as well.
  • ThijsDeJongThijsDeJong Member
    edited August 2016

@phuturist

What do you mean by tasker?

• @phu

What do you mean by tasker?

Tasker is a (very cool) automation app for Android. Based on events on the phone it can do all sorts of stuff. For this specific use case you could configure Tasker something like this: on connection with Bluetooth device "dot frontdoor" send http request to Homey that changes the home parameter to true.

On Homey you could do anything you want with this now Homey knows you just got home.
  • Reading the campain this could also be possible via DOT?

It (would /should) be able to use IFTTT, so when it detects my phone's Blue thooth, it could sent a message to Homey.

In wich case Homey can set my presence variable to True.

Or am I missing teh use complely?

• PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited August 2016

Reading the campain this could also be possible via DOT?

It (would /should) be able to use IFTTT, so when it detects my phone's Blue thooth, it could sent a message to Homey.

In wich case Homey can set my presence variable to True.

Or am I missing teh use complely?

Haven't read the campaign yet but if it supports IFTTT that would indeed be possible. And I'm assuming they will support it. Only downside is that IFTTT is not known for it's speed and reliability. You will have more reliable results with direct connection between the dot app and Homey or Tasker and Homey.

[EDIT]
    Backed them as well for three dots ... 
  • Just backed them for three dots as well. Still thinking about what to do with them.
  • Backed them as well. 
    I hope that if I have a dot in my bedroom and I open the homey app that directly the bedroom page appears. 
  • Hey Athom users! I've received a lot of messages about integrations between Homey and Dot. I'm happy to say that an integration between our two products is definitely possible. I think our precise location tracking can enable Homey to make your home even smarter. We're reaching out to Homey at the moment to establish a relationship and if they are receptive, we will definitely integrate Homey into our platform directly.
  • Kunal_Dot said:
    Hey Athom users! I've received a lot of messages about integrations between Homey and Dot. I'm happy to say that an integration between our two products is definitely possible. I think our precise location tracking can enable Homey to make your home even smarter. We're reaching out to Homey at the moment to establish a relationship and if they are receptive, we will definitely integrate Homey into our platform directly.
    Great news! Looking forward to see the possibilities between the two.

Also hope you reach the 75k stretch goal. Would love to have my dots in white. Good luck with the campaign and everything that follows. :+1: 

• Kunal_Dot said:
    Hey Athom users! I've received a lot of messages about integrations between Homey and Dot. I'm happy to say that an integration between our two products is definitely possible. I think our precise location tracking can enable Homey to make your home even smarter. We're reaching out to Homey at the moment to establish a relationship and if they are receptive, we will definitely integrate Homey into our platform directly.
    So glad that the connection is made. Good luck with the campaign and thinking about a 100k en 150k stretched goal :wink: 

• Backed one!
  • Thanks for the support everyone! Yea, please let me know if you have any interesting ideas. We love connecting with other communities to make Dot (and Homey), the coolest smart home products on the market! 
  • My experience is that BLE doesn't work through a simple wall which on one hand is disappointing and on the other hand great for extending Homey. With enough Dot's Homey will know every room. And the stretch of a multiple click button has been met, so Yay... Ordering...
  • I also recieved the same message that they reached out to Homey and will make an app/integration for it. @Annemarie do you know more, did they reach out to you guys?
  • Yep backed it also
  • AnnemarieAnnemarie Member
    edited September 2016
    I also recieved the same message that they reached out to Homey and will make an app/integration for it. @Annemarie do you know more, did they reach out to you guys?
    Not that we know. Stefan is looking in to this :)
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited September 2016
    Annemarie said:
    I also recieved the same message that they reached out to Homey and will make an app/integration for it. @Annemarie do you know more, did they reach out to you guys?
    Not that we know. Stefan is looking in to this
    Great to hear, have backed it for 5 Dots. Think it would be a nice addition to Homey. Then i will know who is entering the room instead of only knowing someone is there by the Fibaro motion sensor. 
  • Backed this project too! I'm also hoping for Homey integration...
  • Martijn said:
    Backed this project too! I'm also hoping for Homey integration...
    Just read this from the founder of Dot on the Dot community forum:
    We are currently in talks with Homey to move our partnership forward!
    Hoping for a nice integration between the Dot's and Homey.
  • Hi @Kunal_Dot ;

I saw the dot project movie, looks great. In the end of the film the guy at the mirror seems to push the dot "button". Does that mean that it can also be used as a button? If that is the case and it could connect to Homey, then it could be also used to dim the lights or turn on the music bij clicking like that, instead of just walking by.
    Stick it on the table dinner light for example and touch it to turn on or of that light.

Or is it just presence detection? Is the range also adjustable, like only do something when really close and not 10 meters away?
  • Arghhhhh to late to join the kickstarter project. But did a pre-order for 5 pieces just now.
    @Kunal_Dot nice to hear that you open for partnership with homey 
  • Someone on the Homey Slack channel was having doubts about the accuracy of the presence detection of Dot. A demo video has been made by the Dot team that looks really promising. I believe their goal is that you can set the detection range yourself so you can finetune when actions should take place. 

Software
    Our app is approaching a very testable state, which means we can move our developer beta program up to late November. Our javascript developer tools are working and we are testing it internally to work out the kinks. We also have our data model built so you can store dots, apps, etc seamlessly. The key point of this is that all data is stored locally so it's secure to external intrusion. Here's a quick sneak peak at our UI in action with our LIFX use case. It's a bit hard to see, but as we walk closer to the Dot, the signal indicator strengthens, turning on the Dot, and does the reverse when we walk away from the Dot. This demonstrates our live ranging ability:

https://youtu.be/sP-PMhGpglQ

• Can this functionality not be replicated by ibeacons or NFC tags.  Perhaps not identical but depending on what use case the marketing is making you think of, you could do it very cheaply right now.

I have an ibeacon I played with for a bit, the app allowed you to customise detection range and call a webhook.  Everything you need to integrate with homey.