This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Is there a "mode" selection?

omriamosomriamos Member
edited August 2016 in Archive
Hi,

I was wondering if Homey have some kind of a "MODE", where you can push a button (or add this as a flow) that will mark you, for example, as "AWAY", and then will only trigger flows that are set to be allowed when in AWAY mode.
Basic modes are: HOME / AWAY / VACATION.

So for example I can set a flow to turn on the lights on the living room if a motion is detected, while in the "HOME" mode (this means that I am home), but another flow that will actually set an alarm and send me a notification if the same motion is detected - while in "AWAY" mode (this means that there is no one at home).

Moreover, I should be able to create a flow that will automatically switch to AWAY mode if for example there is no one at home for more than 1 minute. (btw, can I actually do that? Based on my phone location?)

Almost all other z-wave hub systems have this, so I was wondering if it's also possible with Homey.

Thanks

Comments

• Currently not in the extended version as your describing right now.
    However you should be able to use your phone's location to have Homey determining if you're at home.

There has been spoken about such a feature for some time in the future.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited August 2016
    Presence-detection doesn't work perfectly yet for a number of reasons) but Homey has this build-in. Unlike Z-wave BTW as phones don't talk Z-wave...

In this flow I made a variable with my name which gets a value "thuis" when I come home...
  • I don't know if it's doable but if I'm not mistaken then the Better Logic app (https://apps.athom.com/app/net.i-dev.betterlogic) has a switch device (type boolean) which could create a simple home/away card?
  • omriamos said:

Basic modes are: HOME / AWAY / VACATION.

I think it's best you have at least 1 extra mode, 'Armed' or something, for when you're home but asleep.
    That way you can arm motion/door/window sensors downstairs when you're asleep upstairs.
  • As a workaround you can create a flow for that...
  • I don't know if it's doable but if I'm not mistaken then the Better Logic app (https://apps.athom.com/app/net.i-dev.betterlogic) has a switch device (type boolean) which could create a simple home/away card?
    I have been using this option since day one. Works perfectly. I have a number of flows that don't trigger if my boolean better logic variable called home is false. I can switch this manually but also use presence detection to switch it to true (detecting when I'm home works quite well, the issue with presence detection is that it also some times think I'm away while I'm home).

You could even use a string variable if you need more modes.
  • Hi,
    That sounds great for marking my "status", and use in flows as a condition.
    Will I be able to create some kind of a "virtual button(s)" for changing this variable / showing the current mode?
    Example from SmartThings and from Vera:

• Yes, for booleans you can add a so called bitflip device which is a device to flip the status between true and false. There are multiple ways for controlling this like the app or Tasker for android. Just search the forum.

This discussion has been closed.