This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Zwave wall Dimmer

I have several dimmers like this : 

Just old skool 2 in 1 dimmers. I want to replace them for zwave versions. But just ones that are looking semilar. (better for de WAF) Is it just me or does this type of product doesn't exit (yet)? And if it doesn't what is the best way to solve it? its really expensive to buy zwave wall switch and aan built in dimmer for al the places i want to do this!

Comments

• It does not exist! You kan buy fibaro dimmer for example icm with right wall switch. Have a look at the fibaro documentation because also the type device that you want to dim is important
  • mglatmglat Member
    edited July 2016
    @tim1990 ;
    indeed very well replaceable but a Fibaro dimmer2 device with a 2in1 puls (momentary) switch
     Depending on you switches brand.

• mglatmglat Member

• casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2016
    At the moment, there are no z-wave devices that have 2 dimmable outputs, even the way @mglat purposes will leave you with 2 separate modules behind the dual switch or near the lamp itself.

I think there are no devices because of the limits z-wave has. 
    (not able to send 2 different percentages to 1 controller, and 2 controllers will be too big for behind a wall switch)
    So don't expect any modules with this soon.

The best way, maybe don't look for a switch replacement, but a lamp replacement (if possible) 
    Or a lamp socket replacement. 
  • mglatmglat Member
    Good point @caseda !
    a second fibaro dimmer could be placed in ceiling socket. Or as you suggest use a lamp (bulp) that can be dimmed. Or find a device that goes in between the fitting and the lamp.

welcome to the difficulty of home automation choices  :)
  • swtttswttt Member
    @caseda , Fibaro does support 2 inputs on their dimmer? (S1 and S2) But i am not sure if it would still be functioning as it should on these type of dimmers. These "old-type" dimmers are limiting the power to the lights, i am only used to use a push button instead with the fibaro dimmer module. If you ask me, i would just replace it. A push button works easy as well (i don't think it would influence the WAF, but that might vary in each situation) and in the future it will support scene activation, so a double or triple push on the button can switch other things (you can use it in flows to do stuff) 

For a better WAF you could then add the triple push to a flow thats named "Sexy time :)"....
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    caseda said:
    At the moment, there are no z-wave devices that have 2 dimmable outputs, even the way @mglat purposes will leave you with 2 separate modules behind the dual switch or near the lamp itself.
    I think the wallmote can do that, should come this year.

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-wireless-switch
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2016
    @swttt ;
    It's true it has 2 inputs (normal switches, so no dimmers)
    This is for like hallways with a switch at each end.

@p0nts ;
    It looks like it has no outputs at all, so it's like a wall switch with 4 buttons that can controller multiple devices.(a homey with 4 buttons, putting it crudely) So you would still need 2 modules for replacing a dual wall dimmer, and if you have multiple like the OP is talking about, it adds quickly 
  • swtttswttt Member
    @caseda ;
    Ye you are right, but im not even sure if its even possible to use a "regular" dimmer on any z-wave devices at all? They should measure the power coming trough and set a percentage according to that. Can't recall any device capable of that...
  • casedacaseda Member
    @swttt
    If this option is to be added to a Z-wave device it would mean a new capability, so not very likely to come with this z-wave(+) version indeed. 
  • swtttswttt Member
    @caseda Good to know :) thank you

To sum it up, just replace those hideous dimmers with some nice push switches :smiley: 
    Or put a fibaro dimmer in there, and a blind plate on top of it. Then force the wifey to control the lights trough the homey app or speech :wink:  
  • mglatmglat Member
    You mean wifi or are you sending you wife(y) to operate the dimmers  :D :D
  • swtttswttt Member
    Hehe, no just force her to use the app or speech :)
    Tried it that way myself tho, not very successfull but you should give it a shot.
  • In our home I had an almost similar dimmer question. It is slightly different but assuming you have only room for one switch I would use a multipulse switch with two switch levers for example: http://downloads.jung.de/public/nl/pdf/datasheets/nl_532-4u.pdf The left top pulse wil turn on your dimmer A and dim a Fibaro Dimmer 2 if pressed continuously. The left bottom pulse will be able to set a scene. Same works for the right top and bottom pulse for dimmer B. If you have a regular socket box to mount your switch you will be able to build one dimmer behind the multipulse switch. And build the other one in the connection box in your ceiling. The only downside is that you will have to rewire an extra switch wire to your socket box in the ceiling to control your dimmer.

This works for me on Domoticz but I'm in the progress of moving it to Homey. Does anyone have experience in tweaking all the indivual settings of z-wave devices like the Fibaro 2 dimmer? I'm looking for the syntax of changing multiple settings at once.  
  • swtttswttt Member
    nteuniss said:
    In our home I had an almost similar dimmer question. It is slightly different but assuming you have only room for one switch I would use a multipulse switch with two switch levers for example: http://downloads.jung.de/public/nl/pdf/datasheets/nl_532-4u.pdf The left top pulse wil turn on your dimmer A and dim a Fibaro Dimmer 2 if pressed continuously. The left bottom pulse will be able to set a scene. Same works for the right top and bottom pulse for dimmer B. If you have a regular socket box to mount your switch you will be able to build one dimmer behind the multipulse switch. And build the other one in the connection box in your ceiling. The only downside is that you will have to rewire an extra switch wire to your socket box in the ceiling to control your dimmer.

This works for me on Domoticz but I'm in the progress of moving it to Homey. Does anyone have experience in tweaking all the indivual settings of z-wave devices like the Fibaro 2 dimmer? I'm looking for the syntax of changing multiple settings at once.  
    Same setup i was using in openhab. Currently they are rewriting the z-wave part of homey. After that the fibaro app is the first to be released.

Talked to Emile about the scene activation, not sure if it will be integrated from the start but he will eventuelly.
  • Scene activation would be really cool so I can start a "Goodnight" scene that sets all my lights in the room to off.
This discussion has been closed.