This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

[app idea] String parser

I have a couple of flows that retrieve data from various sources in my LAN or on the Internet and where I have Homey speak the value when I ask him to. Sometimes the retrieved data contains abbreviations that sound strange when Homey tries to speak these. For instance, I have Homey read out my solar panel production and the string contains kWh.

It would be nice to have an app that can add functionality where it can parse a string and change a matched value to something else. For instance kWh could be parsed as kilowatt hours.

I totally lack the skills to do this but perhaps some community dev is looking for a nice project ... :-)

Comments

• How would you integrate this with other cards? Or would this app simply add new card - say expanded string.

Having configurable list (in settings) of abbreviations would make it extensible.
  • MatjaLipu said:
    How would you integrate this with other cards? Or would this app simply add new card - say expanded string.

Having configurable list (in settings) of abbreviations would make it extensible.
    Good question, left it out of my request on purpose as I don't know. Best I can come up with is a card in the AND column that accepts a text tag which and does the parsing and updates the string of the text tag when used in the action column.

Your suggestion of a configurable list sounds really great as well ... :+1: 
  • I am not sure updating token is supported. Only triggers can have tokens. Tokens in conditions would solve that or is there a better option..?
  • MatjaLipu said:
    I am not sure updating token is supported. Only triggers can have tokens. Tokens in conditions would solve that or is there a better option..?
    The app should make it possible to drag the trigger token into the condition card which should take this input value and parse it before the same token value is actually in an action card. But I can fully understand if this isnt possible with current fucntionality. It feels hackey. But I can not think of any other way to do this in Homey using the flow editor.
This discussion has been closed.