This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Extra option: Replace devices

0burner00burner0 Member
edited June 2016 in Archive
As @emile said in the topic Software status:

Z-Wave is going steady just like last week. While cont acting Z-Wave support, we found out That nobody on the market is doing what we have done, All which is creating a generic module That enable block any app to talk to every command class. We're proud of That child and can not wait to ship it :-) Also here, expect to re-add your devices when it's shipped.

I would like to have a option to replace a device if it is broken. What I mean by this is that you can remove a device, but also have an option to replace it. So that the current flows immediately added the new device as you replace it.

Dont know if this is easy to accomplish but I think it would help people with a lot of flows.

Comments

• swtttswttt Member
    I don't think you can replace device, while it isn't a standard z-wave command (as far as i am aware of).

What Emile meant in his post is that when the z-wave rewrite is completed, the z-wave controller wil be "reset", and you have to add all your nodes(devices) again. On other controllers i tried, i never had to remove and re-add an device while it was broken. (the repair function for battery operated devices did enough).

In other words:
    When the z-wave rewrite is done, you need to add all your devices again. And after that it should work as expected.
  • Oke, I had to readd Kaku and MI light last time, was a hell of a job ;)

• Regardless of what happens when the rewrite hits us, a method to replace a device without having to recreate flows would be a very nice feature.
  • swtttswttt Member
    edited June 2016
    I was referring to the z-wave part, haven't seen a z-wave controller that replaces a node(remove, add and give same node id) or has a function to do so. (Except the repair function that does something similar, and repairing the network/node should work and is/was already implemented)

Not sure about kaku or other devices.
  • I was too, the fact that no other controller has it doesn't have to be the reason Homey won't, it would add to its uniqueness.
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    For the z-wave part, the option to replace a device is already available.  Just check in the z-wave settings where you can refresh an unreachable device.
  • swtttswttt Member
    Fire69 said:
    For the z-wave part, the option to replace a device is already available.  Just check in the z-wave settings where you can refresh an unreachable device.
    That should be the repair function as I mentioned. (Not sure how the homey gui names it)

If someone could state the difference between device repairing and removing and adding again. Cause now I'm curious
This discussion has been closed.