This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Nuimo, Bluetooth LE

Hi All,

I am about to receive my Nuimo, A Bluetooth LE based controller and i would love to write an app for it.
The information about the BLE API is a bit contradicting because i read the athom guys where able to use the API to write support for a specific light quite easy and i also read that the BLE API is not available yet.

Have any of you guys tried anything yet?

Comments

• nklerknklerk Member
    For those who are interested, What i am planning to program is this:

- Represent a "control page" on the nuimo, this could be your lights, music, or whatever you like.
    - Ability to select/browse through different control pages on nuimo by swiping Up/Down
    - Ability to create your own icon for a control page. so you know what you are controlling.
    - Every user action on nuimo could potentially start a flow.

How i see this would work.

Add a "control page", set an recognizable icon (for instance a light bulb), name it Light
    Add a "control page", set an recognizable icon (for instance a music icon), Name it Music.

Add the nuimo flowcard to your flow.
    Select one of the flowcards, Swipe left, Swipe right, Dialring, Wave left/Right/Up/Down, Proximity, Tap.
    make a sellection between the 2 controll pages to select on what "control page" it should activate.

The flow could for instance start the play/pauze function of your media player when the nuimo is tapped.
  • The software for the bluetooth module in homey is not available yet. 
  • nklerknklerk Member
    That's to bad. well i am patience.

• MatjaLipuMatjaLipu Member
    edited June 2016
    which app/light supports BL(E)? public API is not yet available.
  • KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
    edited June 2016
    I actually looked at this project when it was featured first on Kickstarter, and didn't order it because of the relative high price and the (IMO) limited functionality. However, what you are describing about the control pages might actually push me enough to buy one if you get it to work fully  :)

Oh, if you get it to work, already a feature request: change the control page in the 'Then' colum in Homey (i.e. automatically get to control the TV if a movie started).
  • nklerknklerk Member
    Stefan and I have been to Vienna for Pioneers Festival, a startup conference where we've met some of the companies Homey integrates with. One of them is Fluxo, a directional and colorful light using Bluetooth LE. This was a great test to try out our Bluetooth LE API, which is nearing completion. We're proud to say we've got the lamp connected to Homey within an hour!
    Mentioned in the software status post 
  • nklerknklerk Member
    First BLE must be accesseble before i am able to write somthing.
  • It it would work with BLE-GATT, like https://www.senic.com/files/nuimo-gatt-profile.pdf , it should be incredibly easy to make an app
  • nklerknklerk Member
    edited June 2016
    I am not worried about the BLE part. more about the general Homey App / NodeJS part. this is particularly new to me. But seeing the amount of apps rising by the day i don't think i have to worry to much. ;-)
  • nklerknklerk Member
    I just received my nuimo.

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    That BLE (or perhaps bluetooth in general?) is really bad (nothing to do Homey yet). Received my thermocoins but just three meters distance from the fridge and all communications are lost...
  • nklerknklerk Member
    We will see how and if it works nicely. I have started with development, I am currently working on the settings. This itself is a challenge. I think I will stick with basic icons for now. I tried 9x9 checkboxes but the css is ruining the table with these checkboxes.

I need to communicate 81 bits to the nuimo for an icon. Goal is to have a user friendly way to generate these 81 bits by providing an graphical way of creating these icons.

my goal is to have the app ready so when BLE is implemented I only have to add the BLE code.
  • nklerknklerk Member
    I was able to create a 9x9 grid with checkboxes so everyone can make their own matrix icon. Now I'm struggling with a for loop on the settings index.html so that the checkboxes will get converted to and from a 81bits variable so I can save it.

java doesn't play nice to me as it's the first time coding Java for me. I'm such a noob. :-) 
  • jordenjorden Member
    It's actually javascript, which is easier to learn than Java :) 
  • nklerknklerk Member
    Lol. it's more that there is no proper error that tells me what I'm doing wrong.

ill continue later today, it's Dady time now
  • nklerknklerk Member
    Ok, I bumped my head the heard way.

for (int i = 1; i < bitlen; i++){

Thos doesnt work in chrome somehow. not sure why but fixed with:
    for (var i = 1; i < bitlen; i++){
  • nklerk said:

Nice! :smiley: 
  • nklerknklerk Member
    Now I need to add a list with the possibility to add and remove somthing to/from that list. Has someone done this before so I can borrow some code? :-)

Is it possible to save an array to homey from the setting page?
  • jordenjorden Member
    That's quite cool! The Nuimo looks really nice as well. What are you using it for, I wonder? Just seeing if it adds enough value for me to purchase one :)
  • nklerknklerk Member
    Currently it's on my wall, connected to my iPhone. I can control sonos, hue, iTunes with it and it's app. It's magneticaly attached to its wall mount.
    I want nuimo connected to homey so I can sent things from homey to the nuimo's matrix display. And use the nuimo controls to virtually controll every device connected to homey

its BLE gatt is quite easy to understand.

there is a nuimo emulator app that you can run on your iOS device so you can virtually play and develope for it without having the real thing. You can give it a try.

Emulator for Nuimo' van senic GmbH
  • nklerk said:
    Currently it's on my wall, connected to my iPhone. I can control sonos, hue, iTunes with it and it's app. It's magneticaly attached to its wall mount.
    I want nuimo connected to homey so I can sent things from homey to the nuimo's matrix display. And use the nuimo controls to virtually controll every device connected to homey

its BLE gatt is quite easy to understand.

there is a nuimo emulator app that you can run on your iOS device so you can virtually play and develope for it without having the real thing. You can give it a try.

Emulator for Nuimo' van senic GmbH
    +1 TOPPIE  B)
  • @nklerk Nuimo looks awesome. My first response is "I WANT IT". But let's assume the speech recognition of Homey gets improved and BT support gets released, would Nuimo still be an awesome addition to have around the house? I am trying to come up with scenarios I would use Nuimo instead of Homey. 
  • nklerknklerk Member
    Sometimes a button is more easy than words. I see my nuimo as an extension to homey. Well not currently but hopefully in the near future.
  • nklerk said:
    Sometimes a button is more easy than words. I see my nuimo as an extension to homey. Well not currently but hopefully in the near future.
    What's the current maturity level of Nuimo? Is it a mature product that can be used for every day use? or is it still in beta? 
  • nklerknklerk Member
    It's mature.  that hardware and firmware really works well. The apps need more intergration with other devices, but I intend to use homey anyway.
  • @nklerk: I read somewhere that especially the 'swipe' controls on the nuimo don't work properly (fail 25% of the time or something). Is that also your experience, or does everything work as expected 100% of the time?
    Also, how does the ring exactly work? I understand that you can turn it, and I read that it is quite precise, but you still have to be able to pick it from the table or wall with that ring as well, without turning it. Does it have high resistance or 'clicking' every 1/25th of the ring or something to give feedback?
  • nklerknklerk Member
    Swipes sometimes misses indeed. I think it's jus a question of updating firmware. The nuimo send a 0, 1, 2 or 4 depending on where you swipe to. So direction detection is done by its firmware.

the ring is very smooth, no clicks. It kinda feels like a knob of a high quality receiver. Picking up the nuimo clould definitely move the ring / body

also when you place the nuimo to the wall it will always turn a bit. The wall mount has magnets that snap the nuimo to the wall in a horizontal position

These are typical small changes that will get noticed but not enough to change a setting substantial. Well not if you programmed it to set your music volume between 0% and 100% with 1mm of ring turn off course :-)

i I have my raspberry pi connected and can see how precise it is by looking at the raw data. It sends numerical values in a fast pace when it's moved. Positive numbers indicate a clockwise turn and negative numbers a counterclockwise turn.

• @nklerk: Wauw, this has taken a while, but I just saw that the first app that can work with a bluetooth device appeared in the appstore: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.mipow.playbulb
    Maybe you can already look at the communication of Homey with bluetooth; I assume bluetooth will work in the next Homey update or the one after it.