This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

I like data

bvdbosbvdbos Member
edited June 2016 in Ideas & Suggestions
I like data: weather, energy-usage, energy-production, water-usage etc etc. 3
Homey collects these, displays them in beautiful graphs and lets me download the data by hand. Yesterday however, I was playing with Homey and didn't hear her counting down from ten to one so she went into recovery. All my data was lost
Wouldn't it be great to be able to backup the data automagically? Every app could write it's own functions (judging the dev-docs) to transfer the data to an ftp-server but better would be (imho) to extend insights to be able to handle this backup-functions so an app can either put this on ftp or store the data in a sql-server (quite some people have mariadb available on synology). Any thoughts?

Comments

• Would be nice to incorporate data export in a flow, that way tech noobs like me can probably easily connect with ifttt or zapier or something and get the data in dropbox for example. 
  • mglatmglat Member
    I am thinking about using Microsoft powerbi fit that. It is a cloud solution that can make beautiful chats and analysis. And it's free.
    there is an API available to push data to this environment. Not sure yet what the best way would be to trigger this from within homey 
  • Wouldn't it be nice if Homey would create an backup DB on its local disk and, periodically, upload it to a cloud service (Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, OwnCloud etc) every night with the ability to restore in case of an emergency.
  • I think privacy is also important, since homey can basically control your life at home you maybe would not wan't the data to even leave your home.. Anyway, the data would at least need to be send encrypted and uploaded to a really safe cloud with something like 2-step verification imo. 
  • That would be something the user can choose
  • AardAard Member
    I use the energy data to declare energy costs my business makes in a building next door. It's important I keep this data, because tax authorities can claim this data after years. 

Did anyone find a solution to this? Syncing the db with dropbox seems perfect to me. An import function for a resetted homey is necessary in this case I guess.