This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Does the alarm work when there is power loss?

As I am considerung homey for the house alarm: what
1. if after a break in homey is (within the alarm delay time) destroyed or
2. the power supply destroyed / switched off (and therefor WLAN is enabled)? 
Will the (for instance) zwave alarm (solar / battery alarm) work as the signal has been transmitted?
Or what could be the workaround, as homey will be obviously visible in the lobby and prone to be destroyed?

Matthias

Comments

• tim1990tim1990 Member
    If that is the case your delay is to long. Normaly the alarm main unit is in a place that's not directly in sight. En if they find it there is a tamper alarm. 

Homey does not have a tamper alarm. I think there would be a way to some sort but it will never be as save a real alarm. 
    If you can get your hands on a device that is capable of checking of homey still reacts (connecting to it and getting answered, measuring power consumption, seeing if there is a actief wifi connection) and if not sending a signal it would be possible.

At this stage i would not recommend it. Its not yet reliable. Just for playing purpose it would be fun to make. If homey is stable it would be possible but it's never as good as a separately dedicated system!
    It wil only make it a bit saver.
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited May 2016
    Imho the only solution is a real alarm in your technical room behind a closed door. Homey isn't designed as alarm. 
    Maybe it can communicate with your alarm equipment but don't expect much more than that.
  • casedacaseda Member
    They do not advice to use homey as a security device, it is not created with this in mind, like at all.
    For all the exact reasons you are stating, power loss etc. homey will stop working, completely, it will not send any command's anymore.

There are some workaround if you work for example with the new KaKu security line or Z-Wave is to let the devices talk to each other, not just via homey.
    But keep in mind, and just my 2 cents, all wireless protocols can be disturbed (pretty easily).
    So if you want a real security system, look at real security systems.
    Or accept the risks it brings when using homey/wireless security.

But as @tim1990 also states in his reaction, it is indeed not stable enough yet to use homey as a security device.