This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

KAKU APIR-2150 Motion Detection

thayoung1thayoung1 Member
edited April 2016 in Archive
I'd like to use the KAKU APIR-2150 wireless motion sensor with Homey (http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/shop/nl/producten/apir-2150/). 

I can pair it when it's next to my Homey, can use it if it's within 5 meters of Homey. When I put in on my garage it loses connection / Homey doesn't see any activity. The distance between the garage and Homey is 12 meters. Specs say it should work indoors 30m and outdoors 70m.  

I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same 'limited distance' issues with the KAKU APIR-2150? I'm also wondering if the origin of this problem is a limitation of my Homey or the sensor. 

Comments

• The range of KaKu & homey, isn't big to speak of indeed. (definitely not the specified distance KaKu states)
    I have the same problem with one i have at the backside of my garden. (14/15 Meters)
    I ordered an extender for KaKu see if it helps.

The range has gotten better from v0.8.29 to v0.8.30 though, so it might improve in future updates.

But it's not just homey, any KaKu receiver isn't responding at this distance
    (i just tried it out with an wallplug)
  • posthokposthok Member
    edited April 2016
    I have got the same motion sensor and the same problem. I must say its strange, homey can connect trhough a socket three floors up, but not on the same floor 6 meters away. In domoticz with rfxcom it reaches every sensor in the house.
    It looks like the pir transmitter lower powered.
  • I'm also using some KaKu sockets a couple of meters further away in my garden and they work. Maybe because these are powered instead of battery usage.

@caseda Would you be so kind to let me know if the extender works?
  • @thayoung1 ;
    I will let you know when i receive it this next Tuesday.
    It should work, it just re-sends the signal, so be wary of a small delay because of this.
  • goodygumdrops.! the extender came a day early, woohoo.

My experience of the last 20/30 minutes, it workes (like a charm).
    But is a little bit fiddly about the location you put it in.
    Have been moving it about for several minutes to find a spot that is completely stable.
    Places that didn't work:
    • Above (on my balcony)
    • Nearby the sensor (hé, maybe the transmitter is stronger)
    • In the middle, outside, but still a wall in between.
    • In the middle, outside, but still a (old) double-glass window in between.
    Places that did work:
    • Inside just behind the window
    So it almost seems like its receiver is stronger than homey/kaku socket.
    Or it's just because my desk isn't (as much) in its way anymore.

There is a small delay of about 1 to 2 seconds.

Take not though:
    If the sensor is nearby enough to get to homey it will trigger Twice, even if your flow is when "turned on" send notification, and it didn't turn off in the meanwhile before sending/activating again. (which it should)

It is a little on the big side though, but it is water tight so even if it bothers you that much you could "hide" it outside, as long as the signal just comes through.. :smiley: 

another complaint about the extender.. (who doesn't love complaining :D) the pair button is inside the battery compartment, so you need to make it open to pair any new ones (remove the wallclip/stand & 6 small philips screws).
    but i guess you will only pair it once and after never again.

PS: i have no idea where the goodygumdrops came from :D
  • Sounds good, what make/model is it? I'll buy one for my own :)