This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

RooWifi (w.i.p.) for Roomba

Hi,

I have a Roomba 650 vacuumcleaner that I can command via Wifi using a Roowifi module. I'm currently working on a Homey app for this. However, I'm totally new to JS and Node.js so this is really a w.i.p. (Work in Progress) at the moment.

For now I'd just like to know if there is any demand for this app. Are there more people with a Roowifi? Anyone willing to test in a later stage of development?

Also, if you'd like to help with development that would be great. Of course you can only really do that if you have a Roowifi as well.

Happy to hear from you guys!

Cheers,
Pim

Comments

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    Whats your experience with the RooWiFi module? I used it a few months and now its laying around for already a 1 year... this because it just not work, constantly crashing, module came out of socket, range was very bad (tried a antenne, but didn't help), emailed them several times and got totally no response....

Now i use Thinking Cleaner, what also was a bit of a disappointment, but now it works OK. And also very important; the look of TC is much(!!!!) better!

• AaronAaron Member
    I don't know if there are a lot of people now who have the Roowifi module. But I think that some people (including myself) would consider buying the device when we know there is support for it in Homey.

greetings,
    Aaron
  • Kinda the same thing I made for a different device: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.lg.hombot

Might be  a good spot to start your own app.
  • Cool, thanks @jorden !
    And yes, my first Roowifi died after several weeks. Tried to reach the company behind it, no reply. This was in october 2014. Last week I saw they are somewhat active again, on Facebook and Twitter. Complained and they are sending me a new one. It will arrive next week I think.

Range was ok, but I do hope the quality has improved! Will test it and in the process create the app as well.
  • @Jorden thanks for that, your code looks very useful to me indeed. The RooWifi works in quite a similar way. Many thanks!
  • No problem, we're all helping to make this product (Homey) more awesome

• I have a roowifi driven domoticz , I want to test the application for homey
  • MennoMenno Member
    I'm  considering to buy this for my roomba 560 when it works with homey I'm in ;-)
  • DaanDaan Member
    edited April 2016

I did not know about this Roowifi. Found Thinking cleaner very interesting but it was not available for my Roomba model (700 series). This seems like a very interesting option. 

@PimBliek ; Please keep us updated about the quality of the new Roowifi that they send to you. I would like to get updates about it. If it works as it should, I am willing to order one myself. 

• Will do!
  • Will look if I can find the RooWiFi module. If I find it, then I can send it for free to some in The Netherlands. 

To all: Let me know if you are interested. 
  • DaanDaan Member
    @MarcoF  I am certainly interested. Please let me know if you found it. WIlling to test for PimBliek ofcourse if I have a module. 
  • edited April 2016
    @PimBliek @MarcoF Im also very interested. I too have the Roomba 650, and it would be very VERY cool to make it work with Homey
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    @Daan  @RonaldHelmstrijd ;
    This evening I will look in my Domotica box. To be clear; I have no idea if I still have the module and if I have it, I have no idea if its work (that's why i send it for free (bubble envelop with stamps, so no garante PostNL deliver it).

So a lot of unclear thing and I let you guys no what I find.

Oh and @Daan you will have it if I find it :smile: 

• I can't find the module, so I think I ditched it..... May I find it, then I let you guys known it.
  • DaanDaan Member
    Too bad. If the results of Pimbliek will be good I will look in to buying a module. Unless you will find it before that ofcourse.  ;)
This discussion has been closed.