This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Experience, so far

edited April 2016 in Archive
Hi,

I spend my whole weekend until now playing with Homey. Some things work but the most is unreliable. I understand there is a bug in the latest firmware the causes this. I also found out when I am close to Homey, around 1 meter it is reasonable working with speech. But when there is some background noise (and with a family with Kids, there is always) there recognition drops down.

So I wonder, is this ever gonna work the way we thought? When I say homey play some music, it does. But switching off is a problem because the background sound is interfering with the speech. Similar with watching tv. This will be a hard job to get this fixed specially because my Homey is on a small table and is around 3 meters away from the couch. Currently I need to walk to Homey, Say my instructions and then I can back to my couch. But I expect that later I can ask Homey all the things I want in my complete living room.

I tried this with Siri on my iPhone and ask him "how is the weather?" from different distances.  Most of the time it works but when it is not quiet in the room it has also difficulties but it performs a lot better than Homey. But Athom is working on this so I really hope they can fix it.

Currently I am testing my workflows with http://<ipofhomey>/manager/speech-input/ because the speech is not finished yet. But the only a few apps are working. Hopefully this is because the bug. The apps I tested sofar:

Time is incorrect and can't change it. Homey also mention some times it is 05 instead of 13:05
Buienrader is not working at all
Somfy screens are not working, cannot attach device - bug reported
Logitech Harmony Hub is sometimes working
Wikipedia, most of the time but not always (I ask always the same thing)
KlikAanKlikUit, Seems to work always
YouLess, seems to work always
YouTube, most of the time
Soundcloud, I am not getting this to work
Kodi, Sometimes 
Plugwise circle, does not work - issue reported

BTW, Is there some kind of loging where I can see what is happening. Maybe somethings has to do with internet but I cannot see this.

So I think the product is far from complete to have it in the shops and there is lots of work to do. But also a number of things are really great! So we are getting there. I am only worried about the speech which is in my opinion a very important unique selling point! 

Comments

• tunftunf Member
    Thanks for sharing!

Wikipedia never worked here, can you share what you did?
    youless and youtube, never worked here, can you share what you did?
    Rest about the same (read my post my first homey for the full cover of what my experiance was/ is)

• 1 Wikipedia never worked here, can you share what you did?
    2 youless and youtube, never worked here, can you share what you did?

1) I did just install the app and type the command in  http://<ipofhomey>/manager/speech-input/ "wikipedia gras". It explained to me what "Gras" means in very bad Dutch :)

2). The youless device you need to add as device and make sure you enter the ip adres of this device. Then it will work (not very exiting but it works)

3) Just installed youtube and I redirect this to Chromecast. You need to type "Watch adele from YouTube" intead of Adele you can replace it by your search.

I will read you post as well. 
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    edited April 2016
    To correct the time, make a flow that speaks out the time, and run it 2 or 3 times, that helped me  !! Time is correct now

*Somfy working like a charm , even with my screens on the second floor (got 7 attached for now)
    *Logitech working good
    *Kaku working ok

when homey starts dropping its interest to do anything i yust restart it (from my.athom.com)
    and everything is working OK for now

+40 flows for now

Several, Somfy, Kaku , logitech , Z-wave devices connected

Speech input@ 1 meter is OK, further away is mostly no-go

• To correct the time, make a flow that speaks out the time, and run it 2 or 3 times, that helped me  !! Time is correct now

*Somfy working like a charm , even with my screens on the second floor (got 7 attached for now)
    *Logitech working good
    *Kaku working ok

when homey starts dropping its interest to do anything i yust restart it (from my.athom.com)
    and everything is working OK for now

+40 flows for now

Several, Somfy, Kaku , logitech , Z-wave devices connected

Speech input@ 1 meter is OK, further away is mostly no-go

Strange that your Somfy is working. Maybe only specific versions. How old is your Somfy system?
    Logitec is not always working. Also when I install it i gave an error but it is installed. This worries me even more. Then this is hardware depended?!?! As I suppose you have also the latest software version?

I will try to reboot the device and see if this will help...
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    I use somfy RTS i guess about 5-6 years old...

I used this remote to connect with homey.

Using firmware : 0.8.29

• I have this one, same firmware. Did you press the back button and then Homey sees it?
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    Even wat voorbeeldjes :smile: 

Rolluiken bedienen:

Sonos bedienen via harmony hub

• edited April 2016
    Gjee, This is definitely not working with me. Mhh, I really hope this is not a quality issue of the hardware. Even you speech is working must better then my Homey.  Could you explain exactly what you did with your blends? 

PS I saw you have TELIS 4 on your remove and I have TELES 1, maybe that is a difference.
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    edited April 2016
    I followed the on screen instructions, using te button on the back of the remote to pair with homey.

Now I see this as devices

ps the speech mostly works ok after a reset, but after a couple of hours is starts losing interest....

smile 
  • mmh, This is not working for me. Maybe the TELES 1 and you have 4 is a different Protocol?
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    No telis protocols should be thesame, i have a telis 1, it also connects...
    Do you see youre sunscreen move, (up and down for a second) when pushing the button on the back??

• JaxcJaxc Member
    btw how many voices do you have installed??
    delete all voices but 1 (the one u use)
    that might help 
  • No telis protocols should be thesame, i have a telis 1, it also connects...
    Do you see youre sunscreen move, (up and down for a second) when pushing the button on the back??

No, It does not do that.

• btw how many voices do you have installed??
    delete all voices but 1 (the one u use)
    that might help 
    I have done this already. My memory was full so I had to deleted it :)
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    No telis protocols should be thesame, i have a telis 1, it also connects...

No, It does not do that.
    Then that is the problem, it should do that ... think you have an older RTS protocol.... Maybe @emile can look at that??
  • No telis protocols should be thesame, i have a telis 1, it also connects...

No, It does not do that.
    Then that is the problem, it should do that ... think you have an older RTS protocol.... Maybe @emile can look at that??
    I hope. Because I was really frustrated. Thanks for helping!!
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    No problem, youre welcome. To bad we didnt got it working 
  • just playing around this weekend,  have no devices configured (they are still connected to my Vera controller)

but trying to get a better feeling with the Flow editor, create some of the example flows mentioned on the forum.
    still have some issues with what i would call the Logic in the AND box and some cross references between different flows.

some small example is to switch the tv on/off
    flow 1)  you said anything -> logic box1 "on" / logix box2 "television"  ->  harmony action and a say something box for confirmation

flow 2 the same exact with a logic box1 "off"

when i say "ok homey,  switch on my television"  it works,
    but the catch is that is when i say only "ok homey, television" both the flows are executed  :-)

i would expected that all the keywords in the flow are needed and then an action would be executed.
    so i could say switch on the tv / power on the tv / turn on etc etc.

putting two words in one logic box "television on"  it wants to hear the exact phrase,  the 'contains' turns suddenly in a 'is exactly' logic.

only in one flow i had the 'ask for confirmation' ,  but when starting  another flow i always got this 'ask for confirmation' question too.  we are still in beta so we will see what the future will bring.

This discussion has been closed.