This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Qnap Server

First of all, I don't have my Homey yet. Hopefully in some weeks I will have it.
But, I'm wondering.
Software can only run on a Linux computer.
So, my question. Can I install the software on my Qnap server as an App?

Comments

• Which software do you mean? The Homey-software isn't open-source (and wouldn't be practical on a NAS). The Homey-app for android?
  • How do you connect to the Homey?
    You have to configure the hardware and the way the Homey will correspond on command.
    This you do with an Interface? Or is it web based? I don't know.
    There is no manual, at least I don't find any, so difficult to find out how it works.
  • It's web-based, Homey has a built-in webserver. You can connect directly when on the same wifi network or through my.athom.com elsewhere. Of course, you could (didn't try this yet) also choose to forward a port on your router to Homey.
  • Gotha007Gotha007 Member
    edited April 2016
    See my first message. I pré-ordered the Homey, and maybe the first will be shipped on 4 April. Wait and see. Meaning, I don't have the Homey yet.
    OK, Web based. It's also OK.
    So there is only the android App? Nothing else.
    I see that people talk about software, but should be installed on Linux. (Virtual PC, of Linux PC)

Again, there are two things that are strange to me.
    1. Seems that some people have the Homey already and it has not been released.
    2. No manual of software section to find on the homepage. With software then I also mean, firmware updates, Apps, ...

For the manual a very short version: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/528/received-your-homey-getting-started-guide#latest

Strange...
    I have to search in the forum for manuals and software? No Service section with manuals and/or software?

OK, I pré-ordered two months ago my Homey and I'm new on this forum. I have to find my way around.
    It will be my fault that it's not clear. Feels a little bit cheap, unprofessional. But, that's me. (Sorry)

I think it's better to close this discussion.
    Have to wait and see. Hopefully soon.
  • There is no software to install. The Homey built in webserver can be used to configure everything. Only if you want to develop apps you need to install software, this can be on a Linux machine, but Mac and Windows also work.
    All else installs through the webinterface (apps and firmware)

The people that already have a Homey are the 'geek backers' on Kickstarter and the people that bought a secondhand from the geek backers (like I did, but also have one in preorder still, which I didn't receive yet).

Athom is working on a new website which will include more manuals, video manuals and information on supported devices etc. I guess they will release the new website by the time the 'non geeks' receive their Homey. The geeks kinda needed to figure everything out themselves, which isn't so bad (I have not had real troubles with Homey yet)
  • Thanx Jorden for the explanation.
    Can't wait to play with the Homey. I already have a Pnoenix PLC installed with one HMI. That's another level. I can not call that domotica. Some things are automated, self programmed, but more on an industrial level. 
    I think that the homey will be fun.  ;) Can't wait!
This discussion has been closed.