This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

What's the difference between getting the Pre-order Homey early or later?

We, Pre-Orders, will be given the choice to receive our Pre-Order Homeys earlier or later. What will be different in both releases? Will there be a hardware update? Because I don't see the point of waiting if they only really differ in software. Won't a software update fix that for earlier pre-orders?

Comments

• woeiwoei Member
    The way I see it, it is purely managing expectations. If you would like to receive your pre-order earlier (like me) you should expect it to be more buggy than you might if you wait until the "official" release.
  • ReflowReflow Member
    edited March 2016
    Scheder said:
    We, Pre-Orders, will be given the choice to receive our Pre-Order Homeys earlier or later. What will be different in both releases? Will there be a hardware update? Because I don't see the point of waiting if they only really differ in software. Won't a software update fix that for earlier pre-orders?
    The different will be that the earlier users may receive a Homey which 'may' be unusable for few updates which can certain some bugs in them. With other words the earlier can expect to have some bugs in it and the later batch can receive the stable version and should work out of the box.

This is means when you choose to get it earlier that you can't blame Athom that Homey isn't always working as it should.
  • Hardware is the same, software should be just more usable when you choose to receive it later.

Expect more bugs with early delivery. Just know that it is already quite good and will only get better; I myself do not understand why you would want it later.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited March 2016
    It's also a matter of managing your legal rights. According to Dutch law, you have the right to cancel your pre-order within 14 days after receiving your goods (no matter how long ago you placed that pre-order). If you decide to accept early delivery, then you also accept that your Homey won't be working all that well at the moment that you receive it... in other words, you basically waive your rights of returning it.
    If you decide to wait until Homey is a bit more matured, then, when you receive it, you can decide if it meets your requirements, and if not, you can return it, cancel your pre-order (within 14 days of receiving your Homey) and receive a full refund.

• tunftunf Member
    Beside what @Bumblez ; mentioned i would also like to give feedback. I ordered by creditcard. This way i'm protected to receive the goods and if it is stolen i'm insured for 6 months. Good thing i thought. In contact today i was told that this is a 6 month protection after buy. So  all of this is only valid 6 months after ordering. If 1 cancel and reorder i'm protected once again for 6 months. So i have made a reminder in my agenda to do this 1 week before the 6 months period ends.
  • tunf said:
    Beside what @Bumblez ; mentioned i would also like to give feedback. I ordered by creditcard. This way i'm protected to receive the goods and if it is stolen i'm insured for 6 months. Good thing i thought. In contact today i was told that this is a 6 month protection after buy. So  all of this is only valid 6 months after ordering. If 1 cancel and reorder i'm protected once again for 6 months. So i have made a reminder in my agenda to do this 1 week before the 6 months period ends.
    So you are considering in using your CC 'insurance' in case the product isnt up to the quality you expect/hope?

• Bumblez said:
    It's also a matter of managing your legal rights. According to Dutch law, you have the right to cancel your pre-order within 14 days after receiving your goods (no matter how long ago you placed that pre-order). If you decide to accept early delivery, then you also accept that your Homey won't be working all that well at the moment that you receive it... in other words, you basically waive your rights of returning it.
    If you decide to wait until Homey is a bit more matured, then, when you receive it, you can decide if it meets your requirements, and if not, you can return it, cancel your pre-order (within 14 days of receiving your Homey) and receive a full refund.

I don't agree that by accepting the 'early pre-order' delivery that might contain more software bugs you waive the right to return it under Dutch law, you still have that right. 
  • Then it's not an option you should take, it's an option for the ones that understand the law isn't changed but they agree to a gentlemans agreement. 
  • MRLMRL Member
    I don't understand. I live in Holland and pre-orderd my Homey. Do i have 2 years warranty as soon as i recieve my homey? 
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited March 2016
    There is two things here: Hardware and software. Of course if the hardware would break than you have no choice you need a working device (and Athom needs the broken device to be able to address future issues). However I would not worry about it, there are no moving parts in Homey and the `PSU` is external, you can expect long lifetime on it.
    The software is different thing. There you got a choice. Any issues can be fixed. This is not so much about the warranty but the expertise (use of console, troubleshooting network issues, etc..) and the expectations.

My laptop with the preinstalled Windows froze on me can I return it? :smile: 
  • tunftunf Member
    tunf said:
    So you are considering in using your CC 'insurance' in case the product isnt up to the quality you expect/hope?
    Not at all, i'm considering using it if they don't deliver anything and become bankrupt or so. I also would like to point out all actions related to the shifted delivery date.
This discussion has been closed.